Monday, August 07, 2006

Music - Twenty British Classics

This list is songs by British artistsI like to listen to, not in any particular order. I didn't include two from the same group but there are hundreds more I could add.
I like all sorts of different styles of music and I change weekly what I listen to but these songs I will always love.

1. Layla (Derek and the Dominoes) - Eric Clapton at his brilliant best.

2. Behind Blue Eyes (The Who) - Sheryl Crow also does an very good version of this song.

3. Angie ( Rolling Stones) - I had to put a Stones song in and this is my favourite.

4. The House of the Rising Sun (Animals) - First UK group to top the American charts. I think Eric Burdons voice is perfect for this song.

5. Ballad of Mott (Mott the Hoople) - Ian Hunters best song but was a "B" side.

6. Good Year for the Roses (Elvis Costello) - Only if they are white.

7. The Bitterest Pill (The Jam) - Pushed close by "A Town called Malice" but I was always going to have Jam song on this list.

8. The Beginning of the End (Eddie and the Hot Rods) - This was not a single, this group were awesome why did they pack it in before they made it big.

9. Tin Soldier (Small Faces) - I like a lot of Small Faces songs and this is the best in my opinion.

10. Celluloid Heroes (Kinks) - Ray Davis was a great songwriter and this proves that some songs are too good to chart. This was pushed close by "Lola"

11. Wild Wood (Paul Weller) - Winner of the service to music award at the 2005 Brits. Along with Lennon the only people to write two songs on this list (see post dated 23rd May).

12. Nights in White Satin (Moody Blues) - I love this song, its something about the colour white I love.

13. Everyday (Slade) - Had to add one from my Glam Years (see post dated 4th March)

14. Don't Look back in Anger (Oasis) - I suppose their not bad for Lancastrians.

15. Starting Over (John Lennon) - My top solo Beatle.

16. Revolution (Beatles) - Only a "B" side but great song.

17. I only want to be with you (Tourists) - Annie Lennox pre Eurythmics version is better than Dusty Springfield origional.

18. Will You (Havel O'Connor) - Great song brilliant writer.

19. I am the Resurrection (Stone Roses) - S**t two groups from Manchester.

20. Golden Brown (Stranglers) - This song is addictive.


What songs do you never get fed up of (they must be a few years old to pass the test of time) ?

6 comments:

Jenny said...

You had some good ones in there- I love house of the rising sun!

Songs that I never get sick of...

Piano Man (Billy Joel)
Steal My Kisses (Ben Harper)
Honestly OK (Dido)
Criminal (Fiona Apple)
When I'm 64 (beatles)

airliebird58 said...

Crikey this is a hard one, but my 5 Brit tracks I never tire of:
Rock n Roll Suicide (David Bowie)
Come Back around (Feeder)
Dont Stop Me Now (Queen)
You've got it bad (Ocean Colour Scene)
Revolution (The Beatles)

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny,
Don't know Ben Harper or Fiona Apple but the others are all good choices.
"House of the rising Sun" is awesome.

Airliebird,
I don't believe I left off a Queen or Bowie record but since I wrote this I keep coming up with ones I've missed.
I'll add Queen - We are the Champions Bowie - Heroes

BF,
Two songs from one act not allowed. Great choices though I love "We won't get fooled again" just not as much as the Who song I picked.

Rachel said...

Hmm -
Gimme Three Steps (Lynnrd Skynnrd)
Old Flame (Alabama)
Marie LaVeaux (Bobby Bare?)
Toby Keith
The Girls All Get Prettier At Closing Time (Mickey Gilley)

Okay, I'm sure you see the pattern - rockin' country.

Mick & Cathy said...

Rachel,
I reckon they all sound fun acts.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work minnie mouse watch discount contact lenses Kids soccer goal zocor weight gain Breast cancer nj walk Cc unique perfumes Insurance+home+auto Wei acne diet fire alarm wire Req+mcse dunlop tires