Thursday, August 17, 2006

Food = Fuel = Energy

Following my calorie counting last week (see previous post) losing 2.5lb looks good in a week. However over the weekend the food I ate while competing in a Table Tennis Tournament was far higher than I burned off. Most of the Sandwichs, Sports Drinks, Chocolate, etc were eaten over the weekend (for energy). Afterwards on both Saturday & Sunday I had fairly unhealthy meals (Bacon & Sausage Saturday, Fish & Chips Sunday). I put on weight between Friday & Monday.

Yesterday I experimented with my food intake (less than 1,000 calories in the day). Ok I was starving but last night I attended my normal TT training session.

Now this session is quite hard all top local players, we practice for the first hour certain movement routines then have a 20 minute break. The next hour we play matches against each other. After about 30 minutes of the match play session my legs just went, I had absolutely no energy left so had to drop out. I was like a car running out of fuel.

So this proved that I require a balance of Food/Fuel intake against what I'm burning, I should not put on weight(should lose it) or run out of energy. When competing in future I will look at what I eat for energy, my ideas - Bananas instead of Chocolate, Pasta or Jacket Potato instead of Bacon, Sausage or Bread, Less Sports drinks and more water, etc.

If anyone else has suggestions I am willing to listen.