Monday, August 28, 2006

August Bank Holiday

Today is August Bank Holiday which means a big market is held in my town. This will pull in many people from all over who have nothing better to do. The Pubs will do good business throughout the day.

This Morning rather than push my way through the crowds I went to work for 4 hours, I don't get paid but can have the time off at a later date (helps towards holidays).

Tonight I'm off out for a few beers with a friend, the Pubs will still have a few drunks left over but they are usually all gone by about 9pm. We usually get a laugh at some of them anyway. I'm actually quite knackered after doing a 6 hour training session yesterday so the beers could go down well.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

What exactly is August Bank Holiday? I hate to show my ignorance but is it like a national holiday or a local one or???

Mick & Cathy said...

Its a National Holiday, we have 8 per year, New Years Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, May Day, Spring Bank Holiday, August Bank Holiday, Christmas Day & Boxing Day.
The factory that I work at is a continueous process so to shutdown for one day would mean shutting the process down a for over a week.
This is not practicle so our shift teams cover 24hours 365 days per year. My job is days (Monday to Friday) but can be called out for emergences at other times. I am sort of my own boss so I can work extra days/hours to earn time off, thats how I manage to get so many vacations.
On top of the above National Holidays we get 25 days holiday plus I get a extra 5 long service days.