Friday, September 29, 2006

Still Alive

Just a quick post to let everyone know I'm still alive here in Toronto. I almost managed to get myself murdered walking back to my hotel last night. A bloke came up to me asking for money and kept hassling me for about two blocks. Eventually I got cheesed off and told him he was a lazy b*****d and to get a job.
He seemed to be offended and got quite aggresive, anyway a taxi pulled up so I jumped in with the silly prat screeming "I'll get even".
The plane journey here was interesting I had a nice young lady with her baby sat next to me. The interesting bit was when it reached feeding time (well it saves bringing a bottle). Actually she was very descreet under a blanket but I was still embarrased (slightly).
Thats just a couple of stories to be going on with. Yesterday I spent wandering around the city finding my bearings although I did go up the CN Tower.
Today I've been to Toronto Islands and spent about 4 hours wandering around, its a nice spot.
There is a problem with the Pubs here, they are so far apart you can sober up walking between. Wednesday when I arrived I got a meal near my hotel in a Pub called The Red Lion its was good and the people were friendly, had a good night but was tired so not late to bed.
Last night I tried one of the places I got advice on my blog "The Rex". They had Jazz on and they were quite good, the food was also fine.
Don't know where tonight yet but most places seem good, well see. Despite the idiot mentioned earlier most other people are really friendly.

9 comments:

Hear me ROAR said...

Hi Mick!

Yah, don't even look when you see someone approaching you.. they don't leave you alone if you acknowledge them in anyway.. It's quite sad actually..


Glad to hear your having a good time!!

Unknown said...

Hey Mick, Glad to know you are doing ok. Better to stay away from bums and beggers. They can be pretty persistant. I am sorry that happened to you!
Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. Have fun :)

airliebird58 said...

Hello Mick, good to hear you had a safe trip over and having some fun.
:)

Mick & Cathy said...

hmr,
You are correct, I made the mistake of saying no and soon as he heard my accent and realised I was a tourist he just tagged onto me.

Tex,
A bit difficult to stay away from them there is a lot here, just try to ignore them.
I think if I gave a dollar to each of them I'd be flat broke and sleeping rough.

Airliebird,
Yes the city as some good spots, I'm sure I'll find even more.
The info I was given on places to go looks sound although I can't believe the distances between bars. You'll know what I mean in the UK you can fall out of one bar into the next.

Tomorrow I've booked a trip to Niagara Falls and am out of town 9 hours. The trip involves the bus picking me up at my hotel, free buffet lunch, Boat ride, visit a winery (with free samples), should be fun.

Jenny said...

Sounds like you are having a great time, despite the loonies walking the streets. Unfortunately, I think you see them everywhere nowadays!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mick

Glad your ok - trust you to get the aggressive tag-a-long!! Take care matey!!

Vicky x

Rachel said...

Mick, college towns are like that here with the pubs. Where I work in Tuscaloosa, you can park your car and just hit the rows of pubs. It's great fun.

Don't make eye contact. That's your first mistake. Don't answer back. But in case you do need to make eye contact, I should teach you my death stare. Works every time - they turn around before they get any closer and actually seem to run the other way.

Joel said...

I've got to agree with Rachel... your mistake was making eye contact. good thing the cab got there.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments to all of you.