Monday, October 02, 2006

20 plus years searching is over - I can't believe it

Everyone knows I like music and have a resonable collection of all sorts of different styles. Now when I first got interested (1970's) for those that can remember we didn't have CD's and our collections were on vinyl.
Since the introduction of CD's I have over the years replaced virtually all my favorite vinyls. One in particular by a group I saw in 1979 "The Photo's" I have been unable to find anywhere, believe I have looked in record shops in every city/town I have visited.
I was starting to believe this record was never made into a CD well although I reckon the group were good they only had one chart hit "Irene" which spent an amazing one week at no 56 in the UK charts.
Anyway although this is a English group from Worcester Toronto has come good, I have just bought it in "Sam's Record Shop on Yonge Street", I can't believe it.

Yesterday I went on a trip to Niagara Falls which got off to a bad start. Now my ticket said pick up at my hotel at 8.50am so I got myself to the lobby at this time. I mentioned to the receptionist to give me a shout when the bus arrives. She looked at me in amazement and said it left 10 minutes earlier. The hotel phoned the tour company who got hold of the driver, apparently he had arrived early counted the passengers on the bus, decided everyone was there and set off. In reality a women that was booked on a completely different tour thought it was her bus and got on so his numbers matched. They had to come back for me and drop the lady off, the rest of the passengers looked really chuffed about it.

It was a good trip though the falls are quite amazing, We had a lunch thrown in at the penthouse restaurant in the Sheraton Hotel overlooking the falls. We also got to ride the "Maid of the Mist" boat right to the foot of the falls. Afterwards we went to Niagara on the Lake which is a beutiful little town with buildings well over 100 years old.

I got back to my hotel over 9 hours later and I was tired and thought I'd get an early night (had a few late one's). I grabbed a quick shower and went to the local pub (Red Lion) I'd been in when I arrived on Wednesday. I got a meal and drank about three pints and was just about to leave when a Irish couple who I'd been sat with on the bus came in and sat with me. I didn't want to appear rude so I had a drink with them.
Now what I don't think I realised I had made friends with Irelands beer drinking champion, Not been one to give in easy I kept drinking with them. We eventually left at 2am and I aint got a clue how many we downed I was wrecked.

Now the locals seem friendly every night the street my hotel is on Scantily Clad girls stand at about 20 metre intervals waving at cars as they go by. They appear really friendly some have even offered to keep me company.
Before anyone asks the answer to your question is "NO", I do have some moral principles.

Today I've just got back from walking around High Park which is a very nice area.

Saturday night I walked passed pyscho Beggar again and he muttered something about breaking my legs, I just grinned.

Had a drink with a nice Japanese Lady the other day, ok it was only a Coffee in the afternoon we just got talking at Nathan Philips square.

I've promised another nice girl I met a drink later in the week.

Thats all for now, I need a relaxing day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mick

Glad your havin a brill time and managed to get your CD!!!

Take care - keep away from the "crazy man".

V x

airliebird58 said...

You seem to be having a very busy time! Glad to hear youre having fun. I hope you've taken some god pics of your trip! :)

Joel said...

the end of a 20 year CD search, a bus ticket misadventure, angry panhandlers, Canadian hookers... well it certainly hasn't been a boring visit!

Rachel said...

I agree - quite the adventure. The makings for a good book - now all we need is a snazzy title.

Mick & Cathy said...

Vicky,

Yes I couldn't believe finding the CD. There are loads of record shops here and the prices are ok.
If I have any surplus cash I'll be trawling through them on my last day.

Airliebird,
I've loads of pictures, I'll be posting a few when I get back on Sunday.

Dcnats,
Today I've been interviewed on local radio. The asked my thoughts on the City.

Rachel,
I'm sure you have the talent to think me up a title.

ArleneWKW said...

Your Niagra Falls visit sounds wonderful. I'd like to see the falls some time. Your experience of being counted on board the bus when you'd been left behind reminded me of a movie I've recently seen on DVD. In the case of the movie, though, it involved a tour boat leaving two snorkelers behind. They either became shark food or drowned before the tour boat operators realized their mistake. Supposedly this was based on a real life event.

On another subject, thanks so much for your support Mick. I really appreciate your comments and that they've continued despite my not taking the time lately to check out your blog. This is a difficult time and knowing you're "there" helps.

Unknown said...

Mick sounds like you are having a great holiday. I would love to see the falls someday! I am sure they are amazing :) Looking forward to seeing your pictures soon too!

Mick & Cathy said...

Arlene/Tex,
The Falls are well worth the trip, if ever you get the chance to go don't hesitate.