Monday, September 11, 2006

Toronto - Can't wait

As most of my blog friends know I will be visiting Canada for the first time in just over two weeks time (Toronto).

Now a couple of months ago I appealed for some help/information on what to do in the city.

At the time I got some great advice from Modigli and some amazing information from Kristine, especially on the nightlife (and more).

One place I must visit is Nigara Falls, this will be a day trip not sure how but I believe there are quite a few tours (I believe you can even go by train).

I will hopfully be going up the CN tower, well it is the tallest building in North America.

I would like to tour a few of the neighbourhoods such as Little Italy, Chinatown, etc.

I like walking (best way to explore a city) and I plan a visit to Toronto Islands one day, Another day High Park is supposed to be really nice.

Yonge Street is the main North/south street and my hotel isn't far away so I'm sure I will explore it.

The Martin Goodman trail runs along the lakefront so I'm certain I will cover part of this, I may consider hiring a bike at some stage.

For events it seems the Harbourfront area or Nathan Phillips square will be worth spending a bit of time at these locations.

On to nightlife, I'm staying at the Ramada Hotel at 300, Jarvis Street which is a little walk from the main fun areas but walkable. I got information from Expedia of one Pub that does good food close to the Hotel on Jarvis Street called "The Red Lion", I'll probably try that on the Wednesday I arrive as I will be tired and not wandering far. Apparently they have a lot of imported beers, they may even have "John Smiths"(one can only hope for miracles).

Another place I got a tip to eat is "The Pickle Barrel" in the Eaton Centre.

Now one thing that is important to me on vacation is a good live music scene and the City sounds promising. Blog friend and local expert Kristine has been a great help here and as mentioned a number of places worth a visit :-
The Rex
The Silver Dollar
Horshoe Tavern
Cameron House
Lula Lounge
Reservoir Lounge

I'm sure I'll be visiting a few of these and also finding many more gems.

And of course I would like to meet up with Kristine on this trip for a meal and a few beers, hopfully she will be available at some stage. This fits in with my plan of meeting as many blog friends as possible and I'm sure I will enjoy Kristine's company (she sounds like a fun type person).
I am a little worried though with all this strong Canadian Beer Kristine may drink me under the table and I will make a fool of myself. I really do hope this night happens.

The one dissapointment for me is when I booked this vacation I had two blog friends in Toronto but one of them no longer blogs. It would have been great if I could have met the other friend on another night but it is out of my hands now. Only a thought but if you read this BF get in touch. You can't have enough friends.

Anyway I reckon I'm going to like Toronto and will bring back many good memories that you will all hear about.

9 comments:

Hear me ROAR said...

I hope you love TO. I have never been there! I hope to go one day.. I hope you have a GREAT time!!

Jenny said...

I have never been to Toronto but my husband has been and he loved it. I am sure you will have a spendid time. Be sure to check out Niagara Falls--I have been there and it is quite a neat site!

Unknown said...

I hope your trip is wonderful. Hope BF contacts you...I miss her!

Rachel said...

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip. I've never seen TO either so I'm hoping for some cool pics so I can live vicariously through your trip! Janet

Rachel said...

Your friend is right from your other post, Mick. There is a world of difference in how Greg treats me (who is 10 years older) and how Belbo or other guys in my age group act. Greg opens doors and car doors for women, if he thinks he has offended you - he apologizes, he tells you when you look nice or what color he thinks looks good on you - it's a whole different mentality from guys in my age group or younger.

Mick & Cathy said...

hmr,
I reckon I will love it judging from some feedback I have from people who have been. I'm surprised you have not visited.

Jenny,
You could ask Craig which are the good spots for us men to visit. On 2nd thoughts you had better not.
I intend to visit Niagara Falls.

Tex,
It would be nice if she did but that is out of my control.

Rachel,
You'll see the pics and hear the stories.
As for the age thing perhaps I should be widening my catchment age range. I do think I would treat a lady much better now than when I was younger (not that I've ever been bad). I'm just more mature probably.
Question for you - What maximum age gap do you consider ok ?

Mick & Cathy said...

Kristine,
I'm sure I'll find plenty to do in your city from what I've read it sounds a fun place.
It'll be great to hook up for dinner & drinks I'm really looking forward to meeting you. We'll have to sort out where and when soon.

Rachel said...

Mick, I think you should consider opening the age gap. The key is not the age difference; it's the chemistry and the personalities, in my opinion. If the latter two are there, the age gap is just a number.

Hmmm - I think I'd go max 10 years younger and probably no more than 10-12 years older.

And you're right - knowing Greg from a long time ago helps us. He has changed in some ways but so have I. But basically, the qualities that attracted me to him the first time are still there. I'm working hard at just hanging and not looking or thinking about anything more serious.

Mick & Cathy said...

Rachel,
I think you are right about numbers been unimportant, I think its happiness for both parties that counts.
I pleased you are happy with the situation with Greg you seem to be well in control of your senses.