Saturday, August 11, 2007

A Good Day

Today as been good on two accounts I'm happy believe me.

1. I'm gonna start with myself, I've been in Halifax playing a Table Tennis Competition and have done really well. I know I've trained hard this summer and its been going well but I couldn't have dreamed up todays results.
It was a Open Tournament for Veterans with players from all over the country, it was a big high standard entry and today was the qualifying groups, everyone was placed in a group of 8 players with the top two getting through to tomorrows main event, the players finishing 3rd & 4th into band "2"event and so on.
Anyway first game up I played a bloke from Lancashire I hate playing and usually struggle against, I lost the first set but bounced back to beat him by taking the next 3. I was happy with that but next I had the top seed, not just in my group but in the whole tournament, anyway it was a expected loss he is ranked about No6 in England and I'm not in the top 100. As expected he took the first set, then the 2nd all though I got close. I shocked him in the 3rd and actually pinched it, unbelievably I also returned all his big shots to win the 4th 18-16 after a lot of deuce points.
The deciding set started I was a little nervous cos I could sense a lot of people starting to watch sensing a shock and the bottom line is I played out of my skin and won 11-6.
Although I tired a lot as the day went on I managed to win my other 5 matches, it was tough, not one of them was in straight sets and I could have easily lost them all on another day.
Anyway the bottom line is I've won the group I'm not only in the main event I'm in the spot reserved for the top seed and I'll even get a 1st round bye.
Ok I'm also a realist I'll be the lowest ranked player in it and probably wont win a game but who knows I'll be trying.

2. 3pm - Leeds United start the season in bottom place in the league on -15points, yes 15 points
behind all 23 Clubs that started on zero.

5pm - Tranmere Rovers 1 Leeds Utd 2 - Its now minus 12 and with only 6 other teams winning we are now 15 points behind them, 13 points behind Ten Clubs and 12 behind the other seven. Start looking over your shoulders boys this may be a handical now but we are coming to get you.

The celebration with our players and Fans was like a team that had just won the championship they just rubbed it in the faces of our enemys, they showed them what it means to us.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

All I can say is WOW!! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

hey i'm with Texasgal.

i've just caught up on the last couple of posts, great work on the weight loss Mick. must seem weird working in kgs rather than pounds.

take care!

celtic_girl said...

Way to go on the weightloss Mick AND the holiday, I'm sure you'll have a blast meeting Rachal and Rebecca.

Congratulations on winning your table tennis matches -woohoo!

Mick & Cathy said...

Thanks Ladies

Anonymous said...

On On On!