Friday, January 19, 2007

Vacation Decision

I've started trying to plan my next trip to North America and have been checking out prices in various cities. I'm provisionally planning to visit two Cities around late April/early May.

I'm looking at 12 nights total staying in decent hotels in the City Centres (I don't hire a car on vacation) and trying to get a price under £1,000 including flights.

At least one of the Cities I want to be new to me but if both are thats ok. So far I can only get cross Atlantic flights (from Manchester) at a reasonable price to Chicago (BMI or American) or Boston (American). Their are flights to Philadelphia (US Airways) or Atlanta (Delta) but those companies have not dropped their prices yet.

The best total deal prices I can get so far are :-

6 Nights Boston (Milner Hotel) + 6 Nights Philadelphia (Comfort Inn) - £1113
Milner is only a 2star but has decent reviews and includes Breakfast.
Comfort Inn as some very good reviews.

6 Nights Boston (Milner Hotel) + 6 Nights Washington (Red Roof) - £1117
Red Roof is also a budget hotel but the reviews are good.

5 Nights Chicago (Allerton Hotel) + 7 Nights Baltimore (Wyndham) - £1142
Allerton is a top quality hotel right on Michegan Ave
Wyndham 3 star again is a good hotel with good reviews.

I've also looked at linking these Cities with Austin, New Orleans, Seattle, Atlanta and these are the other possible combinations £1240 (Chicago/Seattle), £1312 (Chicago/New Orleans), £1274 (Chicago/Atlanta), £1241 (Chicago/Philadelphia), £1330 (Chicago/Austin) £1286 (Boston/Chicago).

I could dowgrade hotels a bit but to be honest if I'm travelling so far I always try to get somewhere decent in a good area.

I am expecting the flight prices to Atlanta & Philadelphhia to come down so that will open up a lot more potential combinations.

One problem with with travelling solo is you still have to pay for a Double room so it is always expensive. Now if any of you unattached female bloggers are free I've just come up with an idea (ok worth a try).

Actually one of my blog friends (Rachel) is currently doing some research for me and finding out the best area to stay in Atlanta.

I have another question for any of you (I think Jenny will be able to help) - What is the weather normally like in Boston in late April ?

6 comments:

Jenny said...

New England in Late april is a little like England. There can be a good bit a precipitation and it can be cool, but generally it is a pretty time to visit. The trees are budding and it is not too hot or humid. It should be generally pretty nice (like 60-70 degrees most days).

ArleneWKW said...

Another North America trek. I smile.
I'm glad you enjoy your visits and are able to vacation as frequently as you do.

Rachel said...

I've got to email you this weekend because now that there's a time frame, let's see what's hopping in Atlanta during those months!

Buckhead so far is leading the pack but my nephew's wife grew up in Atlanta and Ange will be back in town either tonight or tomorrow and I'll be quizzing her;)

I love Boston, too, Mick. It's a great town, the food is good, the people were alot of fun.

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny,
Thanks for the info.

Arlene,
I only live once so won't get thhe oppotunity again.

Rachel,
I look forward to your e'mail. I've not planned anything definate yet I'm just waiting for the right deal to come along.
Air fares to Atlanta are the main drawback at present but that can change anytime.
The Allerton Hotel in Chicago is an awesome price but I'm not sure whether I want to do Chicago this time because I hope to be there in July.
The Boston/Philly deal stands out most at present but I've to check out more about the Boston Hotel.

I'm still awaiting an announcement at work which could change my plans (can't say more).

TitanThirteen said...

Stuff all those places, Come to sunny 'ol Australia!! WOOHOO!!

Mick & Cathy said...

Cactus,
Reckon one day I will.