Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sport Sunday - The Chinese are coming

For so long the sport Snooker has been dominated at world level by people from the British Isles with a sprinkling of opositition coming from Commenwealth countries like Canada, Australia & South Africa.

Well we have heard for a long time that the sport is popular in China and its only a matter of time before they take over at the top.

Well I have just seen something that makes me think they have arrived. I just turned on my Television and the masters snooker tournament was on, playing Ding Junhui a 19 year old from China. Ok playing is one thing, winning another but the first frame I watched unbelievably he rattled in a maximum break of 147.
F*****g hell a inexperienced 19 year old can't do that, its only ever been done in this tournament once before and that was in 1984 by Canadian Kirk Stephens.

In fact in all tournaments I can only think of televised 147's on 6 occasions (White, Thorburn, Hendry & O'Sullivan), there [probably is a couple I've missed.

All I can say is well done Ding.


While we mention the Masters there is call to change the Tournaments name in honour of 27 year old Leeds player Paul Hunter who sadly lost his battle with Cancer earlier this year. Paul won this title on three occasions.

What do you think ?


You thought with Leeds United not having a match this weekend due to the stupid Brummies trying to resurface their pitch I wouldn't mention the sport.

You were wrong because today is the big Yorkshire Derby in the Ladies game Doncaster Belles versus Leeds United.
A 5-2 victory for Leeds saw them overtake Arsenal at the top of the Womens premier league for a couple of hours. Player of the match was Lucy Ward who scored twice.

However the girls didn't stay top for long as Arsenal hammered Sunderland 9-0.

One of the versions of the World darts is also on television this afternoon, the final is an all English affair with the National captain Dave "Wolfie" Adams playing 50 year old outsider Phil Nixon. Phil was 150-1 at the bookies at the start of the tournament.
I usually post something for one of my blog friends well today is the turn of Rebecca and I'll mention her beloved team the New Orleans Saints beat Philadelphia 27-24.I almost forgot to mention the world of soccer has seen two major deals this week involving midfield players in their thirties. Most importantly Alan Thompson has moved from Celtic to play for my club Leeds United (obviously he wanted to play for a big club).


And we have to mention David Beckham' money spinning move to help the kids of America. The Real Madrid player is moving to LA Galaxy and joking apart I think he will actually get the MLS the publicity it needs to become a major sport in North America. He is a decent player and was a good England captain in his prime but publicity is what he is about.
Welcome to the World Game to all my North American friends and remember to encourage the kids to buy Leeds shirts (not Manchester United at any cost).

6 comments:

Meow Meow said...

DAvid Beckham is hot! I saw him on ESPN last week with his big announcement, sadly before the press stuff--I had never heard of him..not even with a Spice affilate.

Thank you sir for my SAINTS photo...40 years my city has waited for this moment!

MY city is a rocking!
Pray Chicago loses today. Pray like your life depends on it!

Jenny said...

OK, no ManU shirts for me, but I have always had a soft spot for Arsenal...

Way to go Saints--If my NY Giants can't be in the superbowl, I sure hope it is the Saints. They deserve it!

OK, just a side note--they really show Darts as a sport on TV? I though that was something you just did in a bar to pass the time while waiting for your next Guinness to arrive...

airliebird58 said...

David Beckham is a bonny man and that's a fact. Not exactly my type but I wouldn't throw him out into the snow. :)
I agree about the Footie shirts. At least Leeds shirts have a bit of class ;)

Rachel said...

I actually had heard of Beckham but didn't realize how "purdy" he is until now.

Mick - you never sent your info so I could send you an University of Alabama shirt! I just remembered that! Oh yeah, will have Hotlanta info emailed to ya tomorrow.

Mick & Cathy said...

Rebecca,
Your team did well.

Jenny,
Leeds Utd do a good line in baby clothes.
And its about time Darts became an olympic sport then maybe we would win some more gold medals.

Airliebird,
Thanks for your unbiased opinion on the Leeds shirts.

Rachel,
Don't worry about me you need all your money so you can make the changes to your life you hope for.
The fact you want to buy me a shirt really makes me feel so good but your need is greater, think of yourself.

Suzy said...

I agree that the Beckham publicity can only be a good thing for the sport.