Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sport Sunday - Around the World

We'll start Down Under with the Australian Tennis Championships and at last its starting to look like Britain may have a player capable of competing for titles at world level.

Scotlands Andy Murray has marched into the last 16 where he will face Spanish star Rafael Nadal. Murray has done well all season and it promises to be a great match. However in the Ladies game the Brits don't seem able to compete so I'll have to post a photo of Tournament favorite Maria Sharapova (Russia). There's something about her I like just can't put my finger on it.

Change of Sport to boxing and England Ricky Hatton has just regained the IBF World Light-Welterweight title against Colombian Juan Urango in Las Vegas. Hatton has been a great ambassador for the sport throughout his career, well done Ricky.

On to Snooker and last week I mentioned the maximum 147 scored by Chinese teenager Ding well the 19 year old has gone on to reach the final beating no other than Stephen Hendry "arguably the greatest player of all time" on route.

But in todays final Ding will face the Rocket Man Ronnie O'Sullivan. An inform Ronnie is almost unstoppable it should be a classic match.

So what is going on in my part of the world, well in Yorkshire we currently have the World Short track Speed skating ( in Sheffield). And before anyone asks I can't name any of the skaters pictured below.

So on to Soccer and I'm afraid Leeds lost again yesterday 3-2 at home to West Brom (first time they have won at Elland Road for nearly 30 years). We are now deeply in the shit and need to start winning asap.

Good things we can take from yesterdays match was that both goals were scored by new signings Tor Andre Flo & Alan Thompson on their home debuts. Icelandic International Gylfi Einarrson a player I rate got on for the last 15 minutes. We have a break next week so time for manager Dennis Wise to settle in all the new boys.

At least Dennis showed some passion when he got sent off for pushing one of their players, we could do with him on the pitch.


Finally I've just read another former England player will be following David Beckham to the USA at the end of the season. It is strongly rummoured Robbie Fowler will be joining one of my Blog friends "Joel" teams DC United. Well Joel what you will get is a tidy footballer with the ability to score goals, Robbie doesn't do an awfull lot around the park but in the oppositions box he can be leathal.

Robbies main claim to fame that he proudly boasts is that he has played for the three clubs that hate Manchester United the most (Liverpool, Manchester City & of course Leeds).


9 comments:

Rachel said...

I don't know what this reveals about me, but I like to watch boxing. Growing up, my mom and I would watch boxing matches. I don't know any one of my friends that does although most of them have a good knowledge about boxing.

I'm learning to follow Roddick in tennis now. I miss Andre but it was time for him to leave and Andy Roddick plays awesome and like a gentleman. I like that.

And today is the day to see if Rebecca's Saints make it to the Super Bowl.

I still feel ehh but maybe the bug is getting less and will be gone by tomorrow. I hope so!

Mick & Cathy said...

Good for you liking Sports as I reckon its a minority or 50% at best of Ladies that do. Nothing wrong with it though I like to find Ladies who I can talk about Sport to and not bore them.
Thats not to say I don't like others who are not into sport there are plenty of other things that can be talked about, the main thing with people is having something in common.
Like you my mother was a big Sports Fan mainly Soccer and Hockey, she played both in her younger days.

Hope you are feeling much better soon.

Suzy said...

I don't mind watching football (Aussie rules) and cricket, but I can't watch boxing! My DH loves to watch the boxing and even if I'm not watching he feels he must describe it to me.
How exciting, you are planning another trip!!!

Meow Meow said...

Well aren't you quite the Sport nut? Very informative post.

My SAINTS just lost....so now I am feeling lost.

*SIGH*

Moby Dick said...

All the Brits will be playing in America this year. Then the MSL will go into bankruptcy and all your favorite players will be back in Europe next year.

celtic_girl said...

Have been watching a bit of the tennis. I am gunning for your countryman Andy Murray tonight which is being televised on centre court tonight.Fingers crossed he beats Nadal!!

Sandii said...

i'm going to Chicago! i can't wait. only 19 days now and after thinking about cancelling i decided NO WAY! i just can't do it. i've waited SO long to go and i just can't give it up like that.

Hope you get some cheap flights and a good deal! i have free acommodation, that always helps!
x

Mick & Cathy said...

SS,
I actually like Aussie Rules Fotball used to watch it a lot when there was a weekly programme on our telly.
My fav team at the time was West Coast Eagles. I'll have to do something about the sport one of these Sundays.

Rebecca,
Soory about your team but they have done well to reach this stage, be proud of your heroes win or lose (and at present I'm an expert on the lose bit).

Spider,
The sad part is you are probably correct about the bankrupcy bit, my club are still suffering from "living the dream" and over spending.

Celtic,
Its a shame but the boy lost but good effort to take the world number 2 to 5 sets. Its all a learning curve for him and it won't be long before he is winning tournaments.

Sandii,
I hope you go and I'm sure you'll love the US. Did you get the e'mail I sent you about the places you are visiting ?

Mick & Cathy said...

Forgot to add the Rocket man gave Ding a real lesson in the Snooker, left him virtually in tears, absolutely ruthless.