Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sunday Sport - This Weeks News

Following last weeks sports report one of my Blog friends Regina pointed out by e'mail (she is still having problems with blogger letting her comment on some blogs) that I hadn't mentioned the American Football in particular her City of residence team the Chicago Bears have reached the Super Bowl following their victory over New Orleans Saints (sorry Rebecca).

They will be facing Indeanapalis Colts who took out New England Patriots to reach this final.

The reason I didn't mention it was that the post was wrote before I knew the results so I will say well done to the Bears and Colts today.


However I do know the Bears arn't Regina's home town team thats actually the Oakland Raiders which is also Airliebirds favorite team not that I've worked out why. Well todays news is about the Raiders who have just appointed a new coach in 31year old Lane Kiffin (pictured below) who will probably need to produce a miracle to turn around the teams fortunes. This season they had a 2-14 record one of the worst in the league.
This is finals weekend in the Australian Open Tennis and well done to Serena Williams who played brilliantly to win the Ladies Singles.In the final she beat the lovely Maria Sharapova who obviously in the photo below is contemplating whether to have a break from Tennis and concentrate on having my Children.


The Mens final was of course won in straight sets by Roger Federer of Switzerland. This bloke is absolutely awesome one of the all time greats in the making. He just doesn't even drop sets and there are some good players out there, he's just a class above. He is the first man to win a Grand Slam event without dropping a set since Bjorn Borg in 1980. It is his 10th Grand Slam title moving him to 5th in the all time list.

His victim in the final was Chilean Fernando Gonzalez who has had a great tournament himself, but you can only say one thing "Well done Roger" and take your hat off to a great champion.

In England its the 4th round of the FA Cup and the Mighty whites are already out so I'm not really interested who wins so I'll post a picture of the 1972 winners, I was among (aged14) the 100,000 that attended the 1-0 win over Arsenal.

Still on soccer this week the Red Vermin have been moaning that a spy plane has been passing over their training sessions and virtually accusing all their rivals. What a load of poppycock its probably somebody just looking for a suitable place to dump a load of manure.

11 comments:

celtic_girl said...

Just finish watching the tennis.Federer is a great player, I was rooting for the underdog though. Commiserations on your table tennis I know how disappointed you are feeling.

Joel said...

Damn and I thought I was still in the running for the "father Maria Sharapova's children sweepstakes" but apparently you've already been declared the winner. congrats. no hard feelings.

Meow Meow said...

I hope the COLTS rip the bears into!

Oral said...

A guy I dated used to be a big Oakland fan. Do you think the new coach is a bit young?

So you like the blonde tennis player, I assume?

You really are a sports fella.

airliebird58 said...

When my youngest daughter was at home we watched a lot of American Footie, (still do) and we just loved the Raiders. They play in Black and silver, which is nearly black and white (you'll know why I veer towards that Mick!) and the fans are nuts! Something else I can relate too.
The new coach is a bit young but if he's good enough, he's old enough. We have a young coach at Leeds Utd, how old is Wisey Mick, about 34 isn't he?

Sandii said...

i can't imagine what it's like not to be competing! i'm thinking of you, sending you positive vibes across the ocean in the hope that you'll feel better soon!

thanks for the sports wrap up, i like it. i love reading about Australia, even if it's just in the name of a tennis match...

only 12 days til my holiday now, can't wait!

will be posting tonight...

take care and hope your aches and pains go soon
x

Meow Meow said...

Have you told Maria how fond of her you are?

Mick & Cathy said...

Celtic,
Federer is going to take a lot of beating.

DC,
Nice of you to accept defeat.

Rebecca,
I love rivalry.

Oral,
A coach is judged on results not age.
Yes to the tennis player.

Airliebird,
Its all in the colours, I should have guessed.

Sandii,
I'm hoping I clear up the aches and pains soon there are still some big matches to play in.
I bet you're getting a bit excited about your vacation now its getting so close.

Rebecca,
She will probably read my blog.

Vanessa said...

The Austrian Open matches were great fun to watch--even the finals when it became clear pretty early who was going to win. I was with Serena all the way. As for the men, Fernando Gonzalez is a hottie and the underdog, so he got my support!

Mick & Cathy said...

Vanessa,
Well I was supporting Federer and of course Maria so we'll call it a draw.

TitanThirteen said...

I think Serenas win was awesome too! The whole "watch" thing was really stupid and bad form!

I laughed when you said the other tennis player was contemplating her start on having your children! Gee that's funny! Just the way you said it!