Thursday, January 18, 2007

Battered Britain

Today virtually the whole country has been battered by Gale Force winds reaching upto 99mph in places. A number of people have been reported killed, Thousands of homes are without Electricity, Buildings have been damaged.

These are a few pictures of the storms :-



We have actually had a couple of Power Cuts at work which are catastrophic for our process, many trees locally have been uprooted. On a bright note I've got away with it so far with no damage at home but two people at work have lost fences.

On a subject change I played Table Tennis in York last night but my elbow was really painfull and getting worse. I had to conceed two matches and the team then fell apart and we lost to the bottom side. I reckon I'm going to be out injured for a few weeks, I've had to withdraw from Yorkshire League this Sunday and the York Championships the following weekend. I would have been defending 5 titles in that tournament and amnot in a good mood. I've played competitevly for over 30 years and never had a prolonged injury, I am really pissed off about it.

I'm off to the Pub with a couple of friends tonight so I'll catch up with all your blogs tomorrow.

6 comments:

airliebird58 said...

It sure has been windy here, the Humber bridge was completely closed. But it dropped very suddenly about 6pm. Now its a cold snap coming up I believe! (oh joy!)
Sorry to hear about your elbow, are you going to see the Doctor about it?

ArleneWKW said...

The pictures are really awesome. I especially like the one with the castle, the one with the roller coaster, and the dog with the fur blown back. I'm still smiling from the dog photo.

That sucks about your elbow. I hope it heals more quickly than you expect.

Jenny said...

What crazy looking weather you've got! It seems like the whole world has been having quite a nasty winter. Take care of that elbow!

celtic_girl said...

Those storms look like real hum-dingers! Great photos. Sorry your elbow is giving you trouble - have you had any physio on it? It can help, I sometimes resort to treatment and it helps me with the pain and regaining mobility to the affected joint.

Meow Meow said...

This sounds and looks awful. I am glad that you are ok. I know you grateful that your home is alright too.
Thank you for sharing the pics!

Hope the elbow gets to feeling a bit better and soon.

Go Saints!

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
Them gusts were a bit scary but it was quite amazing how quickly it dropped at around 6pm.
I've got tennis elbow the good part is it doesn't hurt unless I'm playing. The only cure is rest I'm afraid but I could have a cortisone jab if it gets worse. I'm hoping to be ok for British league in late february, only time will tell.

Arlene,
The photos were taken from the BBC news website and I also liked the one with the dog.

Jenny,
In the last few years I reckon we are getting far more high winds than we ever used to.

Celtic,
Rest is the only cure for the elbow.

Rebecca,
Yes I got away with no damage but many were not as fortunate. Apparently the strongest winds since 1990.