Monday, January 29, 2007

Music Monday - Big in America ?

Well as quite a number of my blog friends are American I've decided this week to feature some of your big acts that have had limited success in the UK. I have actually picked four bands/songs that are massive in their own field, I like them but surprisingly weren't massive chart hits over here. Yes you read that right four this week as I couldn't decide which to leave out.

They are actualy all different styles so hopfully something here for everyone.

1. Eagles "Hotel California" - Was this massive groups biggest hit in the UK but still only reached No8 back in 1977, It was a No1 in the US chart though. It actually recieved a Grammy for record of the year in 1978.
The Eagles were formed in Los Angeles and the main members of the group were Don Henley (Lead Vocals & Drums) plus Guitarists Joe Walsh & Don Felder.
Rolling Stone Magazine has this song No49 in the all time greats list.

2. Ramones "Baby I love You" - The Ramones from Queens in New York are often credited with been the first Punk Rock group (I think The Clash would argue) but this song is not really Punk. It is a cover version of Phil Spectors classic origionall released by "The Ronnettes".
Anyway it reached No8 in the UK in 1980 and The group were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.
I'm sorry to say three of the groups origional members are no longer with us today Joey Ramone (Jeffrey Hyman) died of Lympophema, Johnny (John cummins) died of Prostrate Cancer and Dee Dee (Douglas Colvin) Overdosed on Heroin.

3. Lynard Skynard "Sweet Home Alabama" - This well known Classic was surprisingley never released as a single in the UK but a classic all the same, it did reach No8 in the US chart. It was wrote as a answer to Neil Young's songs "Southern Man" & "Alabama" which criticised the South as been evil.
The Group originated from Florida in the seventies when many southern Rock groups were coming to the fore with songwriters Ronnie Van Zant & Gary Rossington from that state, co writer Ed King was from California.
It was only in March last year that the group were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

4. Stray Cats "Stray Cat Strut" - Probably the best Rockabilly Group of all time these schoolboy friends from Long Island New York. This is my favorite of theirs and I've heard so many covers, the origional only made No11 in the UK chart but reached No3 in the US in 1981.
The group were Brian Setzer (Lead Vocals & Guitar), Lee Rocker (Bull Bass) & Slim Jim Phantom (Drums). Ok all though I love all todays choices I'm naming this as my favorite but its a close call.

So what do you reckon, watch the clips below and tell us which of these is you favorite ?

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Lynyrd Skynyrd, my English friend, ROCKS! "Gimme Three Steps" is another awesome song. So is "Saturday Nite Special".

Cory said...

It's hard to choose, but I think Lynyrd Skynyrd. Sweet Home Alabama is an awesome piece of work.

celtic_girl said...

Hotel California for me as it has very special memories,but a close second was Sweet Home Alabama, it is still a great song.

Meow Meow said...

My vote is with the Eagles. They were one of the best concerts I have ever been too..and I have been to HUNDREDS fo shows~ I love my live music! Their harmony can't be beat!

My second choice would be my first concert The Stray Cats at the 1984 worlds fair in New Orleans....

Oral said...

the Eagles get my first vote and Skynard gets my second.

Sandii said...

i'm torn between Lynyrd and Eagles, both brilliant songs that have that quality to just make you sing...

hey, love your comment, you make me feel fit!!! :-)

only managed to run 3kms today but i did it without flinching... my legs are REALLY sore now!!!

i met a blogger this arvo for a drink it's a bit surreal... have you ever met any??
x

Sandii said...

ps

LOVE the new pic, i'll see if i can get under the same sign and get the same photo, it is in Memphis right??
:-)

Mick & Cathy said...

Rach,
I guessed where your vote would go my American friend.

Cory,
That makes it 2-0 to Lynard.

Celtic,
You'll have to blog about them memories, 2-1.

Rebecca,
2-2, I would have loved to have seen the Stray Cats live, Like you I love live music.

Oral,
Eagles 3-2 up over Skynard.

Sandii,
Yes I have met two of my blog friends. I had Dinner with Regina last May and met her again in July where I saw her perform (she used to write and sing her own songs).
Then I met Arlene for Lunch in San Francisco in December.
Both are lovely people and I hope I get chance to meet other bloggers.

The Photo is on Beale Street in Memphis virtually stood outside B.B.Kings. You can check out a lot of my US photo's (SF, Chicago, Memphis, etc)on the link to my Photo Blog. I'll try get St Louis downloaded this weekend for you to view prior to your trip.

TitanThirteen said...

Hotel California, and Sweet home Alabama is a VERY close second!

Exellent guess on the Memphis phot Sandii, I'm impressed!