Monday, January 08, 2007

Music Monday - British Groups of the Sixties

Well everyone thinks of "The Beatles", "Rolling Stones" or possibly "The Who" when talking about great British Groups of the 1960's. Although I will deal with these another week I'm going to deal with three others that I really like :-

1. The Kinks - Ray Davis is one of the greatest songwriters of all time, not only writing songs for his own group others from a later era have had hits with his work - David Watts (The Jam), Stop Your Sobbing (The Pretenders), All Day and all of the Night (The Stranglers) to name some.
He actually produced his first solo album "Other Peoples lives" only last year and I had the pleasure of seeing him perform in Chicago last July.
For the record The Kinks had many chart hits including 3 number one hits and ten others reaching the UK top 10. Surprisingly their most famous song "Lola" which I love only reached No2.
The song I select to post a video of though is one that never even made the charts "Celluloid Heroes" perhaps some songs are just too good.

2. Small Faces - Another great group who influenced many that followed. These boys only had one No1 hit "All or Nothing" but another seven of their chart hits made the top ten.
Their most famous song is probably "Itchycoo Park" that made No 3 in the UK .
The group was made up of Vocalist Steve Marriott a former busker, Steve died in a house fire in 1991. Ronnie Lane who later went on with Keyboard player Ian McLagan to join Rod Stewart and form "The Faces". Lane died of MS in 1997. The 4th member was drummer Kenny Jones who went on to replace Keith Moon in "The Who"
However I'm picking neither of the songs mentioned earlier the one I'm posting is another Top Ten song "Tin Soldier" which made No9.

3. The Animals - One song sticks out from these boys from Newcastle "House of the Rising Sun" Which was a No1 both here and in the States. It was actually the first song from the UK (not written by Lennon and McCartney) to top the US chart. However surprisingly this song is not an origional it was wrote (composer unknown I believe) in the 1920's. However this awesome song suits lead singer Eric Burdons voice.
Although "House of the Rising Sun" was the groups only number one they did have many othher hits including 7 reaching the top ten.
Other members of the group included Alan Price (Keyboards), Chas Chandler (Bass), John Steel (Drums) and Hilton Valentine (Guitar).
Ok no prizes for guessing the song it could only be the one.

Same as last week please all vote for which you prefer from the clips posted below.

8 comments:

Meow Meow said...

Yeah music trivia.....

It would be a toss up for me...the Kinks and the Animals...I'm not that kinky as of late so I guess the ANimals will get my vote. After all my kitties never do me wrong~

Enjoy the tidbits of info...keep em coming

airliebird58 said...

I always think us of a certain age where so lucky with what music we had to listen too. There's is some good stuff about now, and I love listening to new bands, but things seemed so much better then, maybe its looking at things with the rose tinted glasses of time!

celtic_girl said...

1 The Animals
2.The Kinks
3 Small Faces

RedNeckGirl said...

Great songs! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!!!!

Mick & Cathy said...

Rebecca,
They will keep coming every Monday.

Airliebird,
I think all era's have some great music its just about finding the right stuff.
I don't listen much to many of todays groups as I would like toso not that knowledgable(not got the advantage you have with your daughters).

CG,
Thanks for the votes

RNG,
I'm pleased you enjoyed these golden oldies, which do you prefer ?

Sandii said...

Animals for sure, love house of the rising sun...

great work on the table tennis, very impressive. you must have excellent hand/eye coordination! i'm hopeless...

my blog is stuffed and i have no idea how to fix it so sorry for the lack of updates

thanks alot for your comments, it's always great to read them.
:-)

Mick & Cathy said...

Thanks for your comments Sandii they are appreciated.

Although I really like all of these songs/groups I don't think you can ague against "House of the Rising Sun" its up there with the best of all time.

Hope you get your blog sorted soon.

Jenny said...

Definitely the Animals--I love that song and it has such energy. One of my favs.