Thursday, January 25, 2007

Embarrasing Meetings

Twice recently I've been in the embarrasing position when somebody comes up to you and starts talking like a long lost friend and I hadn't a clue who they are.

The first turned out to be a lad who turned out to be someone I coached at Table Tennis about 20 years ago and he stayed talking for ages. I just kept agreeing with what he was saying all the time racking my brain trying to work out who he was.
Later I did a bit of research and found out who he was which was quite lucky because I bumped into him again and could use a name.

The 2nd incident happend in the dentists (I had a check up the other day) when a lady said "Alright Mick" and started talking to me. She was quite attractive and knew me but I still haven't a clue who she was, I'm still working on that one.

I remember this happening to one of my mates a few years back and he was playing along for ages until the stranger asked "Aint you going to introduce me to your friends ?". My mate had to then ask who he was, I creased myself laughing.

Has this ever happend to any of you ?

10 comments:

airliebird58 said...

It happens to me all the time. I've only ever worked in shops and now a pub, so lot of people know me and I haven't a clue who they are lol. Add to that the fact I'm terrible with names, its not a good combo :)

Rachel said...

Yes, it does! And I, too, am bad with names. You can tell me someone's name and you have to tell me about 8,000 times and maybe it will sink in.

And there's still this girl named Lori that I call Michelle EVERY time.

Thanks for the nice words on my blog. I went to lunch and am trying to get uncranky.

Sandii said...

hey Mick,

first let me say thanks for your comment! i will still read you even if i don't blog myself... i'm just all over the shop and i don't want to make public promises and then have to face the truth that i am not committed, i'm sure you know what i mean...

anyway, this happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

i am an indoor cricket umpire and after a long spell off because of the boys i went back and was in between games when this cute lad starts talking to me telling me how fabulous i'm looking, i'm thinking, who the hell is this?? so i'm like, oh yeah thanks, lost a bit of weight, yeah you look great, ok, ummm gotta go. later i asked Kate and she told me who he was, he was a young guy i used to actually like years ago but he'd had his hair cut and had grown up so i couldn't place him...

and as for your weigh in, maintain is better than gain!! hope your body recovers soon
xx

Meow Meow said...

actually for me it happend with students....my brain only holds so many names then i have brain freeze

Vanessa said...

I have a good memory with people's faces. I'm always seeing people that I either went to high school with or was in the same class with at college. The downside is that sometimes I would rather not remember people...Good luck with your mystery lady

Meow Meow said...

TGIF!

TitanThirteen said...

I used to be really good with remembering peoples names, but as i get older, i can't even remember their faces anymore! I'm always getting into trouble for being a "snob", and "ignoring" people! lol
I'm not one of those people who gets embarassed easily. If i'm talking to someone and i have to remember their name [like to introduce them] i'll just say something like, "You know, i've just gone blank. What was your name again? Don't worry, I forget my own kids names! *chuckle*" Then no-one is offended and i get let off lol

Mick & Cathy said...

I must admit I find it quite amusing when these incidents happen.

Sandii,
I'm pleased you are going to keep commenting.

Cory said...

That happens to me all the time, but I work in customer service/tech support. I see a hundred+ people a day and am bad with names. I'm so bad with names that I don't know all the people in my department!

Anyway, don't feel bad not remembering people. Just think that they must have incredibly boring lives if they remember everyone! Or something flattering about yourself that would make them remember you!

Mick & Cathy said...

Cory,
Thanks for looking up my blog and a good point you make.