Saturday, December 30, 2006

2006 Time to say Goodbye to some

When the "Godfather of Soul" James Brown passed away at Christmas aged 73 one of my blog friends (Jenny) suggested I do a review about him. To be honest I would find this difficult as I never really followed his music, don't really think he made it that big in England, some fans may disagree with that statement.However what I have read about him this last week he certainly was a very respected musician and was so big in his field of music. I am sure he will be missed by his thousands of fans.

For the record in the UK he had many songs make our charts between 1966 and 1993 but only once made the prestigeous top ten. In 1986 he reached No6 with "Living in America".

Anyway thinking about this got me asking the question "who else that have dedicated their lives to entertaining us have we had to say goodbye to this year ?"

So here is a few and I'm sure you can add more ?

Soul Star Wilson Pickett age 64

Ron Greenwood former England Football manager aged 84

Former Celtic Winger Jimmy Johnstone aged 61 (he could play)

Gene Pitney singer/songwriter aged 66

Earl Woods father of Tiger aged 84

Jamaican Musician Desmond Decker aged 64

June Pointer of the Pointer sisters aged 52

Freddie Trueman Yorkshires greatest ever fast bowler aged 75

Charlie Williams Comedian aged 77

Steve Irwin Aussie Naturalist doing what he loved aged 44

Paul Hunter cancer took this star of snooker aged 27 Leeds lad as well

Jack Palance Oscar winning actor aged 87

Desert Orchid probably the greatest National Hunt racehorse ever aged 27

Syd Barrett former lead singer of Pink Floyd aged 60

Alan "Fluff" Freeman radio DJ aged 79

Charlie Drake comedian aged 81

Mike Dickin Talk Sport presenter aged 63



Two other people I will mention

Kenneth Cummin aged 106 who was the last Briton to fight in both world wars.

Elizabeth Bolden aged 116 American who was the oldest person in the World.


God bless them all.




Three who maybe won't be remebered with the same affection -

Slobodan Miloosevic aged 64 did while on trial for his war crimes

Augusto Pinochet aged 91 ex Chile President was indicated for war crimes

Saddam Hussein aged 69

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Here's some for the list, Mick:

Lou Rawls (singer). 73. Lung/brain cancer.

Shelley Winters (actress). 86. Heart failure.

Ann Richards(politician) -- 73. Cancer. Texas governor of recent times, she famously said of George H. W. Bush's gaffes, "Poor George. He can't help it. He was born with a silver foot in his mouth."

Gerald Ford (politician) -- 93. USA's first unelected president, took the presidency after Nixon's resignation and then turned around and pardoned Nixon. Not a popular move.

celtic_girl said...

June Pointer died,Oh no I love the Pointer sisters, do you know what she died of?

Mick & Cathy said...

Rachel,
There seems to be quite a few gone this year and I'm sure we have missed some.

Celtic,
Thanks for looking up my blog.
June Pointer died of Cancer in April she had been in hospital two months.

Modigliani said...

I didn't know we lost one of the Pointer Sisters! I loved them back in the 80s. Great music!

Also, a surprise to me was Syd Barrett. Woah. I love Pink Floyd, too.

I must have had my head in the sand part of this year.