Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Lifes a Bitch

I am having a Bad Week so far.

Sunday a Gust of Wind blew down some guttering around my home it also damaged some of the Waterproofing on a flat roofed extension.

Then what happens only a week before my vacation I have had an attack of Gout. Sunday my ankle flared up and by Monday it moved into my big toe. Yesterday at work I was in agony and could hardly walk. I've had Gout before but over the last few years I have controlled it by watching what I eat, certain foods cause an attack. The other thing I have to watch is not getting dehydrated. I am blaming the Chinese meal I had on a Works Christmas do last Friday.
Anyone that as had Gout will tell you how painfull it is, it is caused by too much Uric acid in your blood. This is caused by an inability of your Liver to deal with certain Fats. This in turn causes a build up of crystals in your joints, the result is agony.
Some people that are prone to this take tablets all the time but I have avoided attacks but altering my diet.
Fatty Meats are the most common cause and I must avoid things like Liver, Kidneys, heart, etc.
Oily type fish is also bad Herrings, Mackeral, Crab, Sardines, Shrimps, etc.

Now this morning I got up for work with my foot still hurting but slightly improved only to find I have caught a Bug. I was as sick as a dog, I must have been sat on the toilet about ten times so far, I feel crap. At least I got the day off work.

I have British League Table Tennis this weekend, I am on vacation from Monday, I am starting to worry.

12 comments:

Rachel said...

Poor Mick! I hope you get to feeling better soon. I've never had gout (knock on wood) but it does NOT sound like it is any fun and do hope you are feeling better soon.

Was the fireworks factory that burned anywhere near you?

Mick & Cathy said...

Thanks Rachel, Gout can be hereditary so if you don't no any other family members that have had it you should be ok. Although saying that it can jump generations.
Apparently some people are much more prone than others something in their genes.

The Firework factory was in Sussex which is in the South (near London), we are in the North. We class it as a long way away 200miles plus but by your American standards that could be in the same State. You have to remember you could fit England in one decent sized US State.

ArleneWKW said...

Oh Mick, I'm so sorry for you. Watching Matt in agony with Gout gives me an idea of what you may be going through. On Monday he went to get a shot of (I believe) cortosone at the site of his current gout bout.This is an option only available to him every 3 months. He has also found relief with prednazone. I hope hope hop your gout gets under control as you move into vacation time.

airliebird58 said...

Hi Mick, sorry to hear you're not feeling well. It's bad enough not being able to get around without pain, but to get a tummy bug as well! Hopefully the bug is a 24 hour thing. How long have the attacks of gout lasted in the past?

Mick & Cathy said...

Arlene,
Thanks but I've not yet had Cortizone yet although it is done in some cases.
When I have an attack I take Idomethacin which is a anti-inflammetry drug.

Does Matt take Pills everday or just when he has an attack ? People who suffer regular over here take a pill (don't know what it is)every day, I'm relucant to do that yet as I don't get too many attacks.

Airliebird,
Thanks I'm feeling a touch better so went to work this morning. I came home after lunch because I couldn't wear my work boots any longer.
Gout is unpredictable you can go to bed ok and wake up in agony. It sometimes clears in a few days but I've also had it last over 3 weeks, my fingers are crossed at the moment.

RedNeckGirl said...

I'm sorry your week has been so bad. I hope the gout doesn't last long....I've known two people that have had it and both were in terrible pain.

Hugs and Thoughts of Healthiness to you!

ArleneWKW said...

Matt had been taking coltrascene which helps prevent gout attacks. (I'm not spelling the name of the drug correctly). He stopped taking it when he was getting the leukemia diagnosis. He has recently started taking it again. I don't think it has had sufficient time yet to actually prevent a gout attack (at least as of last week). When you're in SF, you can give him a call if you like. Besides having gout, he's also a pharmacist.

Mick & Cathy said...

RNG,
Thanks for your thoughts they are appreciated.

Arlene,
Thanks again, I'm still in a lot of pain and panicking a bit about next week.
On the bright side I think its starting to improve so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Hear me ROAR said...

Oh I am so sorry your not feeling well. Take care of yourself!!

Mick & Cathy said...

Hmr,
Thanks its appreciated.

TitanThirteen said...

Aawww [[[HUGS]]]
That gout sounds absolutely aweful!!
Do you live with anyone? It's always nice to have help when you feel THAT bad :o(

TitanThirteen said...

..I think watching a fireworks factory on fire would be really cool! Sad about that fireman though :o(