Monday, December 04, 2006

Music Monday - CD Review - Parallel Lines

Many Blondie Fans regard the Parallel Lines Album is the groups finest work, it is difficult to disagree.

Blondie first arrived in the UK in the late 70's in the middle of the Punk/New Wave revolution but in their songs over the years displayed they could vary their style to suit all tastes. Their first single was "Denis" (not on this album), this song is still a favorite of fans and there is an English or French version, it reached No2 in the UK chart.

This album is classed as New Wave but its arguably one of the best produced in the 1970,s. It was released in September 1978 and reached Number one in the UK charts. In 2003 Rolling Stone Magazine voted it 140th best album of all time then in 2005 Channal 4 music awards lifted it into the top 100 at 94. It may even be better than some of these votes.

Anyway who were Blondie, everyone knows all about lead Singer Debbie Harry, she was a bit of a looker in her time a schoolboys dream. But Blondie were not just about Debbie's looks they were a top notch group and produced some superb songs.
From left to right on the album cover :-
Frank Infante - Guitar
Chris Stein - Guitar
James Destri - Keyboards
Debbie Harry - Vocals
Clem Burke - Drums
Nigel Harrison - Bass

On to the songs, the origional vinyl album had 12 tracks but the remastered CD include 4 bonus songs.

1. Hanging on the Telephone - This Rocker is a Blondie Classic and reached number 5 in the UK singles Chart.

2. One Way or Another - A favorite among the groups fans, never released as a single in the UK but is available in the US. This song was wrote By Harry and Harrison.

3. Picture This - This Pop Ditty wrote by the Group is the first song I saw them perform on "Top of the Pops" and I loved it. It reached number 12 in the UK chart.

4. Fade away and Radiate - A Stein composition I think was a "B" side on one of the groups singles. A slower tempo than most of the other tracks but still good stuff.

5. Pretty Baby - This reminds me of some of the sixties/seventies all girl groups such as "The Shangri La's". Bearing in mind Debbies pre Blondie days were spent singing in a group called "The Stilletoes" that did covers of other Girl groups I think there is some influence here. Wrote by Harry & Stein.

6. I know but I don't know - Another New Wave Rocker. Infante's only Composition on this album.

7. 11.59 - One of my favorite album tracks just has a great beat to it. This was Destri's contribution to the album, he also displays his great keyboard skills.

8. Will anything Happen - Yet another Rocker that typified the group in this period.

9. Sunday Girl - This Stein Composition was the groups second UK number one and is loved by even non Blondie fans. My mother even loves this one.

10. Heart of Glass - Wrote by Harry and Stein this is one of the groups most famous songs. This was the groups first UK number one single. Ok they are supposed to be new wave rockers but hell this is a disco dance track isn't it, they certainly show versatality with this.

11. I'm Gonna Love You Too - A bouncy number again typical of the group.

12. Just Go Away - Another track with a great tempo and love this song. I reckon one of my blog friends that voted for this album last week should play this song to a certain TTA. I'm sure she would love the words.

Bonus tracks -
13.Once I had Love - Even more of a Disco version of Heart of Glass (previously unreleased).

14. Bang a Gong - A live performance of the Mark Bolan classic Get it On recorded in Boston.

15. I know but I don't know - Live version recorded in Philadelphia.

16. Hanging on the Telephone - Live in Dallas.

For those interested here is a link to the Blondie web site.



Anyway my conclusion a great album to have in any collection and I'll give it 8.5 out of 10.



We must finish with a Picture of the Schoolboy dream :-

Last week I got one vote each for "Eddie and the Hot Rods" End of the Begining album or "The Beatles" Abbey Road so I will do one of those next week. Please vote for which you would prefer.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Never really thought about it, but you are right about heart of glass definitely being a disco tune. I guess you just don't normally think of it that way because of the artist performing it.

airliebird58 said...

I remember getting a 12 inch remix of Heart of Glass and they only did that for disco tunes in those days. It really is a corking album, which has kept its appeal. both my daughters have a copy.
I used to love how Debbie Harry made up her eyes, she's the only singer I know that could literally wear a bin liner (Atomic video) and still look cool, what a gal! lol

Mick & Cathy said...

And don't forget they also later did a Rap song "Rapture". I hate it though.

TitanThirteen said...

How about a review for Def Leppards "Hysteria". That's my fav album for soooo many reasons! :o)