Monday, December 18, 2006

SF update - nearly an incident

Last night as I said I visited a different Blues Club "Lou's at Pier 47" on Fishermans wharf. The singer was a Lady called Annie Sampson who was really good. She actually sang a wide range of music and not just main stream blues, she had the place really rocking.

Today I had a walk through China Town eventually making my way over a few mountains and back to Fishermans Wharf. I spent a big part of the afternoon watching a lady singer and her group "The Grace Woods Trio" appearing on pier 39 she only did songs she wrote herself, again very enjoyable sat in the sun just listening to music.

On the way back to the Cable Car I stopped to watch a street magician where a crowd had gathered. Anyway I noticed a couple of shady characters wandering about the crowd and I suspected pickpockets. I warned a couple I had been talking to and within seconds a bloke about my size grabbed my arm and pulled me to one side, he said "Don't interfere with things you know nothing about" I replied saying "what you on about".He shouted to accomplaces something and started pointing towards me.

I thought shit and took evassive action by walking straight across the busy road, a couple of them followed me for about 30 yards but then stopped. I decided I was not quite sure how many and who they were so just walked to the cable car as quick as possible and avoided getting involved.

Why do these things happen to me ?

6 comments:

Meow Meow said...

Sounds to me like you are pretty street smart! I grew up in large crowds with major events in teh quarter..you did the right thing. They were just hoping to get a few extra bucks for their stocking stuffers.

GO MICK!!!!!

Rachel said...

Mick,you should have your own tv show. Always carry your wallet and valuables in your front pocket during the holidays.

And remember this # - 911. Emergency anywhere in the US should you need the police, ambulance, firemen...

airliebird58 said...

You should do a video diary Phil! Be careful and watch your back though wont you? :)

Hear me ROAR said...

Yikes.. be safe Mick.

Mick & Cathy said...

Rebecca,
I've been in a few dodgy situations in my life and can usually think quite quick when necessary.

Rachel,
Thats were my wallet goes, they wouldn't get mine. These morons are hovering around the street performers to see where people get their money from when giving tips.
Afterwards I thought I should have pointed these Bastards out to the Police because they will ruin some innocent persons vacation. I wasn't scared for my own safety there were too many people about for anything serious to happen.

Airliebird,
Phil ?

Hmr,
Actually apart from this one incident I've felt as safe in SF as any city I have visited.

Jenny said...

Yikes, you sure do seem to find that everywhere you go! However, I think it is smart and friendly of you to look out for your fellow travelers like that.