Monday, December 25, 2006

Music Monday - Well it is Christmas ?

For Music Monday I've decided to to make it a Christmas theme. One of the biggest charts of the year is the battle for the No1 spot on Christmas day, most of the top stars release songs shortly before.

In the past we have had some real good songs, a few Christmas based songs, a few novelty songs and the odd charity record make this illustrious pinacle of British music. So here are a few facts :-

Contrary to popular opinion Cliff Richard has not had the most Christmas No1 hits although he tries every year (only comes to life at Christmas and the Wimbledon fortnight). For the record he has topped the chart 3 times 1960 with "I love You", 1988 "Miseltoe and wine" and 1990 "Saviours day".

So who beats that is not too hard its the Beatles who topped the chart 4 times 1963, 64, 65 & 67 (Tom Jones Green green Grass of Home split the years in 1966). The beatles songs were - I wanna hold your hand, I feel fine, Day Tripper & Hello Goodbye.



Paul McCartney also topped the Chart with Wings Mull of Kintyre in 1977 so he has part written and performed 5 number ones. The McCartney clan has actually had another as Pauls younger brother Mike McGrear was one third of Scaffold who topped the chart in 1968 with the drinking song "Lily the Pink".

John Lennon's Happy Xmas (war is over) only reached no4 in 1972 kept off top spot by that classic artist from the USA Little Jimmy Osmond with Long Haired Lover from Liverpool. Funny buisness the music industry at times.

Many novelty records have made the top spot at this silly time of year, classics including Rolf Harris 1969 hit "Two Little Boys", Bennie Hill in "Ernie (the fastest milkman in the west), St Winifreds School choir 1980 "Theres no one quite like grandma", Mr Blobby 1988 and Bob the Builder in 2000 with "Can we fix it". Anyone admiting having any of these in their collection ?

One song that has never topped the chart is actually Bing Crosbys "White Christmas" although it is reputed to be the biggest seller.

So what about American Superstars well Elvis topped in1962 with "Return to Sender, Michael Jackson topped in 1995 with "Earth Song" while Johnny Mathis was No1 in 1976 with Christmas Classic "When a child was Born".

Numerous Christmas themed songs have topped the chart the most famous battle for top spot arguably was 1973 when Glam Rock was at its prime, Slades hit "Merry Christmas Everybody" beat another classic in Wizzards "I wish it could be Christmas Everyday", what a year.

Another Christmas song that made it was in 1974 with Mud's "Lonely this Christmas".

Some Songs have made it twice "Mary's Boy Child" was top in 1957 for Harry Belafonte and also in in 1978 for Boney M.
Another to make it twice was Band Aids 1984 charity Classic "Do they know its Christmas" which raised money for the Ethiopian Famine. Twenty years on another collection of stars Band Aid 20 topped with the same song this time for Sudan. I don't mind either version but think I prefer the origional.
As the two Band Aids where virtually all different artists only one group has topped twice with the same song and that is Queen with the Classic "Bohemian Rhapsody" first in 1975 then again in 1991 following Freddie Mercurys death.

Other all time Classics have topped the chart including Pink Floyds "Another Brick in the Wall" in 1979 and Whitney Houstons 1992 hit "I will always love you".

I'll just point out a Yorkshire Group have topped the chart back in 1981 when Human League from Sheffield did the buisness with "Don't You want Me".

Even Hollywood have got on the scene when Nicole Kidman teamed up for a duet with Robbie Williams to top the xmas chart in 2001 with "Something Stupid".

The battle between Girl and Boy bands over the last 10 years or so have left their mark. The Spice Girls achieved 3 in a row (only group since The Beatles) topped in 1996 with "2 becomes 1", in 1997 with "Too Much" and 1998 "Goodbye" while Girls Aloud topped in 2002 with "Sound of the Underground". Westlife represented the boys in 1999 with "I have a dream".

The first ever Xmas No1 was in 1952 with Al Martino's "Here in my heart" while last year it was XFactors Shayne Ward with "Thats my Goal".

This Year well all bets are off and it is going to be another XFactor Starlet Leona Lewis who will join this illustrious band of artists with her debut single "A moment like this". I think marketing is playing its part. Ok I've missed a few out but the Christmas Chart always makes interesting reading (if not listening).

Back to Christmas Themed Songs (not necessarily No1's) What are your 5 all time favorites :-

Mine are :-
1. Fairytale of New York - Pogues with Kirsty McCall.
2. Merry Christmas Everbody - Slade
3. Happy Xmas (war is over) - John & Yoko
4. I wish it could be Christmas everyday - Wizzard
5. 2000 Miles - The Pretenders

I hope you are all having a great Christmas.

7 comments:

TitanThirteen said...

So who were you in the nativity scene?

You didn't say anything after the ashes were won by Australia. Is that because you are just gobsmacked over Australias awesome performance?? It's ok, no need to say anything then :o/

Mick & Cathy said...

Cactus,
I was a king as it say's in the comment immediately before yours on that particular Post.

Oh has the Ashes been going on I must have missed that.

Only kidding your lot have done really well and deserved to win and congratulations to them. I think you will go on and win the remaining tests.

airliebird58 said...

She's a pretty girl that Leona isn't she? Why do all the X Factor winners bring out cover songs? It would be nice to hear something original wouldn't it?
My Fave Xmas songs off the top of my head are:
1. I wish it could be Christmas every day: Wizzard.
2. Last Christmas: Wham.
3. All I want for Christmas is you: Mariah Carey (I cant stand her, but love this song)
4. Step into Christmas: Elton John
5. I believe in Father Christmas: Greg Lake.

Rachel said...

I know I am odd, I have never liked The Beatles. I don't know when they came around, think that was a little before me, too. But I can't stand to hear their music YET everyone I know loves them. Must be me, huh?!

Jenny said...

I think you should do a little review of the godfather of soul- James Brown, in honor of his Xmas day passing.

My personal Xmas song faves are God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Bare Naked Ladies with Sara McLachlan and the whole CD by Ottmar Liebert-Poets and Angels. Very mellow stuff...

TitanThirteen said...

Oh you were the king. I didn't realise the post before mine was accurate. Don't worry, i can and will slap myself lolol

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
I agree I tend to get a bit fed up with cover versions however good they are. To me the talent in music is the ability to write, ability to play the instrument, then the ability to sing (thats what I admire anyway).
I think to be succesfull today looks come first singing ability 2nd and thats about it (anything else is a bonus).

Rachel,
You're not odd at all a lot of people rave about the Beatles. Although I think they did some fantastic stuff that I like they also did a lot of crap particularly in their early years.
Maybe one day I'll do a post on the Good and Bad of the Beatles.

Jenny,
To be honest I've not got a great knowledge about James Brown but I'll see if I can dig something up to post.

Cactus,
I thought I made a natural King.