Sunday, October 14, 2007

Questions, Decisions, Thoughts, etc.

Ok this post isn't about anything specific cos I've a few things going on in my head at present. All my regular readers know about work and the fact we are closing and officially most people will be redundant from the end of November. However due to my job as Electrical Manager I'll be kept on for a period probably Feb/March next year as part of a skeleton team for safety reasons.

There is a chance still that another company will take over the site, I'll know this for sure by the end of this month. If this happens I'll still get my redundancy payment but probably also be offered my job back under new terms & conditions.

As part of the workers representitive team I met the bloke trying to buy the place on Friday, he was full of big plans for the factory but I'm not totally convinced, I'll believe it when he puts the money on the table, the takover plans are just taking too long.

Anyway saying all that basically I don't know when I'll be working till so that leads me to thinking "should I start applying for jobs ?".

The other thought is how much work do I need to get by, my redundancy package is decent and maybe I'll only need part time work, I keep doing the sums but require to know exactly what my work options are.

I'm still thinking about whether to have a short vacation in December like I mentioned on a earlier post, Trouble is if I was finished work sort of early next year Jan/Feb I'd be better saving my holiday days and cashing them in, hell I'll have plenty of time to go then.

However if the work dragged on to March/April or longer or we are taken over and I decide to work for the new owner I'd like to take my holidays. Not knowing when I'll actually finish is a pain.


While I'm on about vacations I've some questions for some of my blog friends, first to the Australians amonst us. When I finish work I've decided I'm conviced I should visit your country, so my question "Which would be the best city to visit and why ?" I know the initial thoughts is Sydney in the same way people visit London if coming to the UK or New York if visiting the USA. I'll add neither of these would be my choice.


My 2nd vacation question is to Rebecca, I've been checking out the Flight/Hotel deals for NO during the Jazz Fest late April early May. A lot of hotels prices arn't up yet but some are but I'll be monitering until I get a good deal.
My question, I know you said its best to stay in the French Quarter but would it be a problem if I got a hotel in the Buisness District within say 3 blocks of the quarter ? The reason I ask is their seems better options there.


I'm also giving a bit of thought to weight loss and what small changes I can make to start shedding a few pounds again, I've stagnated a bit at present, I put on weight on vacation and ain't done enough since I returned.

Obviously partly related to the weight loss I want to up my fitness level, I've felt a bit sluggish lately, I know having a cold hasn't helped but thats on the mend so I can't use that for a excuse. I just need to push myself into doing more exercise, I've been lazy I used to do Sit ups, press ups each morning but haven't done em for a while. I've also stopped walking to work when I can so I intend to start that routine again.

6 comments:

celtic_girl said...

I know I'm biased but Sydney really is the best capital city to visit.There is so much to do and it is smack in the middle of the east coast if you want to visit Queensland and see the Great Barrier Reef.Melbourne & Brisbane are only 1 hr away by plane if you wanted to go there.

Anonymous said...

nah Sydney is nothing special and i've lived there. Melbourne or Perth. clearly i want Perth cause i could meet you - but no pressure LOL

depends what you want really? Perth you could do day or o/n trips to see a bit more of the country and the same could be said about Melb.

as for work, i would just start applying and seeing how it all goes. just be honest with prospective employers and set a late start date.

whatever happens you'll be fine.

as for your weight, definately just start walking to work again, maybe cut out 250 cals from your diet and i'm betting you'll see a huge difference!

take care
xx

Meow Meow said...

It really depends on the amount of walking that you plan to do...The CBD is nice and there are a few good hotels there...but again...mostly businesses and conventions around you.

IF you find a few hotels you are interested in I will happily offer ideas/input.

The quarter is where you can get to just about anything! BEsides you are a hop skip and a jump from everything...meals, shopping, art, tours, Jackson Square, Cabildo, River walk, French Market (flea Market) etc....plus you could hop the trolley on Canal Street and See historic St Charles Avenue....

Hope you feel better soon about work. You may want to put some applications and just some feelers out there

Mick & Cathy said...

Celtic,
A couple of friends visited Sydney a few years back and enjoyed it so I'll consider it (even if you are biased).

San,
Now I'm confused but I'll certainly check out Perth it is nearest City to here, lol.
Of course if I do visit we will meet up I'm sure.

Rebecca,
Not many hotels have their prices up yet on the site I use. Flight prices are ok at present and there is a couple of deals close to want I'd pay.
The best deal so far is for a hotel called "Queen & Crescent", its 3 blocks from the FQ and close to a streetcar stop apparently. It has a few descent reviews.
I reckon it'll be a couple of months before a lot of the hotels have their prices up but if the current price (flight/hotel) drops say 10% I'll be booking.

Moby Dick said...

Lots of options! Exercise will improve your attitude and get rid of the sluggishness. It is like you have to do better to get better.

Good luck with the options.

Mick & Cathy said...

Iron Man,
You are so right.