Monday, October 22, 2007

Music Monday - The "S's"

We are now upto the letter "S" and I reckon this is the letter that most acts name begins with sort of individual talents like Bruce Springsteen, Helen Shapiro, Sandie Shaw, Neil Sedaka, Frank Sinatra & Rod Stewart, sixties super groups like the Small Faces & the Shadows, seventies Glam stars Slade & Sweet, even Punk Groups Sex Pistols, Stranglers, Siouxie & the Banshees, Sham 69, others like Smokey Robinson, Status Quo, Soft Cell, Simple Minds,Simply Red, Showaddywaddy, etc. I'm sure you can all come up with more but I've gone mad and not including any of the above and still giving you 5 classics.

1. Shangri La's "Leader of the Pack"- This song from the origional Girl Band was released on four occasions in the UK reaching No11 on its first visit the only time it didn't make the top ten.

2. The Stone Roses "I am the resurrection" - I love this record and can't understand why it only made No33 in the charts. One of the best groups to come out of Manchester and thats good coming from me.

3. Squeeze "Cool for Cats" - I like some of the stuff Squeeze did although some of their songs can send you to sleep, this was the first I heard of theirs and it made No2 in 1979.

4. Spencer Davis Group "Keep on Running" - Sixties Classic that made No1 in 1965 for a group including a young Steve Winwood.


5. Steppenwolf "Born to be Wild" - Only just made the charts in the UK but a all time rock classic I reckon.






Shit I missed the Spice Girls

7 comments:

Meow Meow said...

Steppenwolf gets my vote. I used to think I was born to be wild...now..it's I was born to be MILD.

Enjoyed the wide variety that you offered us....Cities in Dust would have been my choice....

Hope you had a good day!

Anonymous said...

Leader of the Pack gets my vote this week - man i love that song!

so many to choose from with the letter S, Smokie, you missed Smokie, oh Carol you got me eatin' my heart away, you got me counting my nights and days, oh i am floatin' on the milky way... it's a fave!

thanks for the comments re childcare - right on the money with regards to young kids thinking it'll be all fun and games playing with the children etc. what to do?

the new centre is great, older ladies and all agree we need a firm plan at home and at daycare. brilliant! let's hope it's all we want it to be.

you take care
xx

celtic_girl said...

Shame on you for missing the Spice Girls! lol

I'm going for Steppenwolf today, love,love that song!

Jenny said...

Nah, you didn't miss the spice girls ;-)

Steppenwolf has to be the one, but you always pick such good selections!

airliebird58 said...

Keep on Running gets my vote. What an ace track that is, one of my faves actually. :)

Moby Dick said...

The girl with the long black beard and the guy with the smoke coming out from between his legs have to be the #1 video! leader of the pack. Why has it been released 4 times in the UK? That song is about 50 years old, though the video looks recent.

Moby Dick said...

I saw your last comment, "Shit I missed the Spice Girls" and I thought maybe it was something you ate?