Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Clock is ticking

Just to update everyone with my work situation, we have now put the last production run on which will probably all be finished by the middle of this month. Some production people will then leave while everyone else will work on decommisioning of the plant.
The target is to have everthing clean so virtually everyone will leave at the end of November.

However a very small skeleton crew of 6 to 8 people will remain to complete any other work and for site safety for a period following this date. As Site Electrical Manager I am likely to be in this group so I will be in work until I would think Feb/March next year. We will be there until the site is sold either as a working site or for salvage.

I am assured of my redundancy so my money for that is safe (I do get a very good deal due to my service) and if somebody does reopen the factory jobs may be on offer, that would be great for the area. Another benefit is for those of us involved in decommision we are on financial weekly bonus of £100 so that certainly boosts my money.

I've been working on this site since I left school and interestingly I started this year the 17th longest server. I'm now actually the 2nd longest server but the one bloke who is in front of me is a process worker so he will probably finish before me. I suppose it will be a achievment to make the No1 spot just wish it could have been in happier circumstances.

8 comments:

celtic_girl said...

I believe things happen for a reason, it would be sad for you after being there for so long, just look at it as a new opportunity.

Anonymous said...

number one spot for longest serving will still be an achievement.

to think that feb/mar are really just around the corner is actually a bit scary...

hope you're well, am reading
x

Moby Dick said...

It is like The Predator, with Arnold. He was the sole survivor (except for the girl) when it was all over. You are like some kind of Rambo. A force of nature. Nobody can stop you. When the Germans buy the factory they will make you the Headman and you will be the king. Then again it might be Arabs buying it. Then you will have to buy a Koran and wear a towel on your head.

Mick & Cathy said...

Celtic,
A new opportunity thats exactly the way I feel about it. I agree about things happening for a reason, I also believe when something bad happens its followed by something good.

San,
I'm quite proud about reaching the No1 spot.
Feb/Mar isn't far away but I'll keep going while they keep paying.

Spidey,
"I'll be back" I'm pleased you mentioned the girl I'd hate to be the only one left.

Meow Meow said...

The bonus sounds like incentive! You know I could spend it in the mall somewhere =)

Preferably in a make up shop....
I bet you smell some kinda good for the ladies in Jolly old England.

Anonymous said...

just wanted to tell you, you are a darling!
x

Jenny said...

Heck, despite the circumstances, you should be proud of your tenure there! Nowadays it is rare to find someone who stays in one place so long that it should be commended!

Mick & Cathy said...

Rebecca,
The bonus is good it'll be going towards the next trip.
I hope the ladies think I smell good !

San,
You got me blushing now, dunno what I've done to deserve that comment. You are so sweet. x

Jenny,
Yeh I suppose it is, I've always been a loyal sort, never been big on change. The've paid me a decent living, its close enough to home, I like people I work with, I'm comfortable with the work so I could never see the point of chasing anything better or more money.