Saturday, October 27, 2007

I'm Embarrased

I don't believe what I've just read in the Local York Newspaper and feel embarrased by it.

There was a double page spread on the Area Sports Awards and I was reading with interest wondering if anyone I knew was up for an award. A selected Committee had selected a short list of three people in every catogary covering a range of Sports.

Well I got down to the award for "Coach of the Year" and couldn't believe my eyes I've been nominated. There was a write up how I was one of the areas top qualified Coaches and how I've developed numerous players to National & County level at Table Tennis.

Apparently I'm up against a Coaches from Athletics and Roller Hockey and everyone nominated is invited to a special Sports Dinner (black tie job) in November where the winners will be announced.

Sure I'm highly qualified and in the past developed many players to good standard but thats where the embarrasment begins, I packed in coaching over one year ago so how on earth can I be " Coach of the Year". I can just imagine going up for the award and been asked to talk about the coaching I do.

I'm going to have to turn this down its unfair and a insult to the people that do the work, I don't anymore.

8 comments:

airliebird58 said...

Has it really been a year since you stopped coaching? I seem to remember you writing about it in your blog, giving it up I mean.
Was that really a year ago? Crikey.
Of course if you haven't coached for over a year you're right to say it would be a bit daft, especially if you won! Is there anyone you can quietly ring and tell them about it? :)

ArleneWKW said...

Ah, but you can still be pleased to have been nominated. Congratulations.

TitanThirteen said...

C'mon now. It's an awesome situation. If you win, accept it with honour :o)

Meow Meow said...

This is such an HONOR. You should be thrilled....YOu know they say you have to quit in order to be recognized...well your LEGACY shall live on SIR MIck!

COngrad!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenny said...

What an honor! I don't think anyone is trying to embarrass you, rather I think they are trying to give you the kudos you deserve for doing a great job.

Mick & Cathy said...

Airlie,
Actually I slipped up there its not quite a year, I packed in last Christmas.
I'll know who to contact when the invite letter comes.

Arlene,
Yeh I'm slightly pleased just wish it had happend when I was actually doing a lot of coaching.

Cactus,
Thanks but I think there will be more deserving cases.

Rebecca,
I'm thrilled somebody obviously nominated me, its good to get some recognition.
I'll just stay happy with my Knighthood, Sir Mick does have a ring to it, lol.

Jenny,
I agree I don't think anyone has tried to embarras me but winning an anual award for things done in the past doesn't feel right and I'd not be comfortable with it.

Thangs everyone for your nice words they are so appreciated.

Anonymous said...

hold you head up, accept it with pride and know you have touched lives!
xx

RedNeckGirl said...

you obviously made an impression when you were coaching, you deserve the honor and best of luck in winning!