Tuesday, July 24, 2007

We lived the dream

I fear for my Football team at this moment in time a emotion all Leeds fans are going through at present. Since the start of the Millenium we have gone from one of the best teams in Europe to the third tier of English Football, the club has been declared bankrupt with massive debts and now taken out of adminstration by chairman Ken Bates, who didn't break any laws but upset the powers that be.

Currently the Football League are refusing to give the Club their Members share which may mean we can't compete, potentially it could be the end of our Club.

Ultimately I think the league will give way but it certainly seems the Football World are against us at this moment in time. Not having our share means we can't sign any players and will leave us with a wafer thin squad if we are accepted.

Our history shows we have always seemed to have the authorities against us we are now been kicked while we are down, we are worried what is happening.

Supporters are leaving Blue, Yellow & White flowers plus shirts, scarfs, flags, etc. at the feet of Billy's statue showing their support for our great Club, and to protest to the authorities please pray for my team.

As the late Liverpool manager Bill Shankley once said "Football is not a game of life and death its far more important than that".


If you are a sports fan or even not please watch the following two videos which tells our recent history and shows the passion our fans have for our club, tell me your thoughts, those that know me will realise it means a lot.





You can't beat a Fan Base can you ?

8 comments:

airliebird58 said...

Well, I sat and cried at those videos. But I tell you this, they wont be rid of us, by God they wont!
Keep your chin up Mick!

airliebird58 said...

Me again, I don't know if you're a member of the WACCOE forum, but there's some great pics of the flowers and shirts around BB's statue on there. :)

Meow Meow said...

Well New Orleans Saints fans are just about as dedicated. REALLY!!!!!

This was the first time in 30 YEARS that we made Division Champs. After the devastation of Hurricane Katrina...the people were INSANELY hurt, lives and homes lost, the SAINTS brought the city back together.

Unknown said...

Well Mick it doesnt sound good, but I hope your team makes it through all this. I know how dedicated fans can be!

Moby Dick said...

Looks like you guys need to invest in a better goalie. I don't know how the soccer/football system works, since there are dozens of teams and many leagues and some of them are international and some are not. It seems very complicated. I got a soccer video game once and it had at least sixty teams.

I guess in the real world politics is part of what affects your team. Write letters and be vocal. Hopefully your team will fight to get their share and not just fold up and die.

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
No I don't participate in the Waccoe forum I quite often read the BBC forum. I maybe should get involved occasionally.
I have joined a Leeds Utd group on Flickr which has 27 members, people post photos and have a small forum.
I also started a Leeds Utd Group on Tribe when I saw certain other English teams had them. So far its only attracted one other member a young lady called Hannah from Bedford.

Rebecca,
Of course you are correct and all teams have their fanatical following, I think everybody needs something to believe in and our clubs give us that. I'd go as far to say to a lot of people its basically a religion.

Tex,
Thanks I don't think we will go under its very political at present, I believe many people are trying to destroy our club and that includes not only football authorities but people in government.
The hatred for our team is unbelievable from so many different directions, no other team seems to get the crap we do.

Spidey,
Our problem stems from bad management 6 years ago, to cut a long story short they overspent and left us bankrupt. Of course them people are long gone as are all the players that didn't pull their weight (some players did try to the end but eventually had to move on).
The current management found a loop hole in the regulations/law to eliminate a lot of debt. It involved putting the club into administration before the last game of the season then buying it back under a slightly different name. The penalty a 10 point deduction but that came off last years tally and we were already relegated so basically went unpunished.
The authorities are trying to punish us by refusing to give the new company their share which allows them to compete and sign players.
On top of that the taxman is trying to sue, hell we mugged the taxman for £7.5million pound we should be happy.

Anonymous said...

my skin has goose bumps! it's so sad, i really hope that things do look up Mick! soccer has such an atmosphere, even here in little Perth.

you take care
x

Mick & Cathy said...

San,
Thanks for your comment, it is sad this means so much to us fans but we still live in hope. If the club I've been passionate about since been a small child went out of buisness I really would be devastated. It means a lot that my friends offer words of support.