Thursday, July 05, 2007

Hello

Well I've now been in Chicago since Monday and just managed to find somewhere to get on the net and do a post. I enjoyed Boston its a nice place with some good people and I've maybe a few more tales to tell.
Talking of nice people on my last day I decided to do a walk along the Charles river so got the subway to the Science Museum (which is on the river). Anyway our train was taken out of service at the stop before so I was waiting on the platform for another train when a lady with two young girls came up and asked if I knew if you could walk to the museum (she must have thought I was local). Anyway I explained I was from England but had a map so got it out and we had a look, as she was deciding whether to walk a train arrived so we got on. But before boarding one of her girls (aged about 7) came up to me on her own iniatitiveand said "Thank you for trying to help us". I thought that was so nice for a young child to do that she was obviously been brought up with good manners.

Monday was my first day in Chicago and on that night I first went to Fado for a couple of Beers and some food got talking to a couple from Kentucky mainly the wife he seemed a little grumpy. Anyway I later went to a Blues Club and suggested they came along she was up for it but he wasn't so I left them argueing and didn't see them again, so I think he won the debate. When I squared up for my Tab at Fado's the barmaid that I'd been having a bit of banter with threatened to shoot me with a squeezy bottle if I left, so I had to duck on my way out and promised to return.

Tuesday and Wednesday I visited to Taste of Chicago and the crowds have been even bigger than last year, star act last night was John Mayer but I left before he came on, you couldn't get anyway near the Big Screen never mind the stage. I've seen some good acts on the other stages its been a lot of fun so far, eaten and drank too much though.

Tuesday Night I got back to the hotel late so I just had a light snack in the hotel bar got talking to a few folk in there, They were a bit upper class Americans and we had a bit of debate about American Independance. Obviously I pointed out if we had our proper army on duty at the time not a few reserveists we would have won. I'll point out the proper army were sorting out the French in Europe at the time.

Last night I found another Irish Pub "The Kerryman" and had a real good night after eating a couple of nice young ladies sat next to me. It turned out to be one of their birthdays so a few shots were going around, I was careful not to have too many though. When the girls eventually moved on I got talking with a couple of Irish lads, one of which was so difficult to understand with his access, apparently they didn't know each other had just met in the previous Pub.
A group of three Irish Ladies came in and one of the Lads I was with saud ask her if she is from Tipperary, I asked how he knew and it was because she had a Tipperary Rugby Shirt on. So I asked and she asked how I knew, of course I said its because all Tipperary Girls have a nice smile, we all laughed a bit and cracked a few jokes the rest of the night.

Today I'm going to hire a Bike this morning and ride North along the Lakeshore for a change then maybe have a couple of hours at the Taste this afternoon. Tonight I'm debating on whether to do another Blues Club or go to a Piano Bar, I'll see.

Hope you are all well I'll catch up with your blogs when I can.

5 comments:

celtic_girl said...

Souns like your having a great time.And yes I agree with you, it's nice to see kids with good manners.

airliebird58 said...

Well you definitely seem to be getting about! hope the rest of your holiday is fun :)

Moby Dick said...

Have fun biking around Chicago!

ArleneWKW said...

You put me in the traveling mood. I've traveled solo in the past and its interesting to me to read your accounts of your various adventures in that light.

Mick & Cathy said...

Celtic,
It is good to see kids like that it shows they are been brought up well.

Airliebird,
Yes I'm getting about but I'm absolutely Knackered to say the least.

Spidey,
It was a good bike ride, loads of biking tracks around Chicago.

Arlene,
The good thing about travelling solo is you can please yourself what to do and you certainly meet a few interesting charactors.