Thursday, July 19, 2007

Hard Work

As those who read last nights post know I went training at my Table Tennis Club. Well there was three of us Nathan one of our up and coming players who I have been training with lately and Nigel who I have played with for years.
As there was three of us and one was sat out we just did match play so we could keep rotating, we played 16 sets apiece and surprisingly we finished the night winning 8 apiece (yes all 3 of us tied). That wasn't particurlarly good for me as I'd normally be expected to come out on top going by ranking.
To be honest I felt a little sluggish and my legs felt heavy (probably the Steak from the previous night) so it was hard work. I lost a fair proportion of sweat and was made to work hard, it was good because they are both totally different styles, Nathan attacks hard while Nigel is more defensive, this gives me good variation of practice.

I'm training tonight this time with Richard he's 20 years old and is home from university and one of the top players in the area. I love training with him cos he has a really consistant attack so I have to work my socks of to keep up with him. My game is based on variation of spin, speed & direction to force errors from my opponent but against Richard that is hard as he knows my game inside out. I taught him to play from been 11 years old so he just responds to everything I do.
We'll do about one hour practice routines which is hard work have a short break then play a few sets. I feel really sharp today so I hope I'm really on top of my game when I get on the table.

One thing for sure I'll be knackered when I get home.

6 comments:

ArleneWKW said...

I hadn't realized before that Table Tennis can be such good exercise. That's great that you get a good workout while having fun.

Rachel said...

knackered?! Now there's a term I have never heard before! I hope the workout/practice goes well. It's not the steak from the night before, Mick. You must have some starches - that is what is doing it. Steak - gooooooood; starches - baaaaaad.

Meow Meow said...

I agree with Rach about the knackered part. I gather you'll be tired/wiped out...

I do wish you luck!

Suzy said...

I understand knackered!

Training sounds like it will be hard.

Mick & Cathy said...

Arlene,
A lot of people think of Table Tennis as a game you just stand there and hit the ball over the net. Its still enjoyable to me but as you say a good work out.

Rach,
I think the problem was actually what I drank to wash the steak down.

Rebecca,
Can't believe you've never used the word "knackered".

Suzy,
It was hard I ached a bit this morning.

Jenny said...

Wow, that sounds like quite the workout! You must have worked that steak off for sure!