Friday, May 11, 2007

Music and not even Monday

You are getting a Music post tonight because I've been tagged by Cactusfreek, apparently you have got to name your seven Favorite Albums and six Favorite Singles and also say why.

Then you have to tag five other people and when it comes to music Cactus as already tagged three of the people I would choose Rebecca, Celtic Girl & Spider so I'm going to add Airliebird and Jenny to that list.

I'll start with the Albums but I'll also say I am deliberately not picking any greatest hits albums because I don't necessarily consider them true albums just a collection of singles.

Been an oldie compared to some of you my musical roots started in the seventies and that era will allways influence a lot of my choices but I do love music of all sorts of styles from all decades.

Choices are difficult because I like so much music but these are what comes to mind tonight but ask me next week I'll probably give you a different list. These are not in any particular order.

Albums :-

Old, New, Borrowed and Blue (Slade) - My first musical interest was Glam Rock and I just loved Slade, this is their best album in my opinion. I've only got a vinyl copy so maybe I should spend some money. Slade

Parallel Lines (Blondie) - As I grew up my hormones kicked in and I fell in love with Debbie but this album as some great music on it.

Setting Sons (The Jam) - As the 70's moved into the eighties The Jam were the group I followed most and this album is by far their best, I love all the songs. The Jam

From the Cradle (Eric Clapton) - Over the last few years I've listened to more and more Blues music and started to appreciate its importance in the development of all types of Rock music. Clapton's style really suits it I've never heard it played better than on this album.

Revolver (The Beatles) - Just got to have something in here from the greatest group ever and this is my top choice from these scousers.

Stanley Road (Paul Weller) - 2nd one in here for Paul Weller (Jam front man) but I have followed all his career.

The End of the Beginning (Eddie and the Hot Rods) - Most underrated group of all time, unbelievable quality album.

Just for interest my seven favorite greatest hits/singles type albums are :-
The Pretenders Greatest hits
The Best of 1980 to 1990 (U2)
Forty Licks (Rolling Stones)
Extended Versions (Stray Cats)
One (Beatles)
The Ultimate Collection (The Kinks)
Ultimate Collection (Small Faces)

Singles :-

The House of the Rising Sun (The Animals) - Wrote in the 1920's but got to be one of the greatest songs ever.

Layla (Derek and the Dominoes) - Great song superb guitar.

Behind Blue Eyes (The Who, Sheryl Crow, Bryan Adams) - and thats just the versions I have and love em all.

Angie (Rolling Stones) - A song with such feeling.

Nights in White Satin (Moody Blues) - Timeless.

Ballad of Mott (Mott the Hoople) - great song but I believe it was only released as a single on the continent.

Lola (The Kinks) - Always been a Ray Davies admirer and this is run close by Celluloid heroes.

Shit thats seven I'm getting carried away here but as soon as I post I know I'll think up loads more.

Another Bonus - Two great Live Albums you must try -
The Who "Live at the Albert Hall" - Fantastic Charity concert with special guests including Bryan Adams, Noel Gallagher, Eddie Vedder, Nigel Kennedy, Kelly Jones, Paul Weller plus others.
Live Down the Road "Marcia Ball" - Never heard of this Southern blues singer until I saw her in Memphis, awesome stuff.

9 comments:

airliebird58 said...

So do I have to do a post for this tag then? sorry to say I don't know 5 bloggers to tag so this one stops with me lol.

Jenny said...

This is a tough one since I like so much, but here goes:

Top Albums:
Thriller - Michael Jackson
No Angel - Dido
Tidal - Fiona Apple
Innocent Man - Billy Joel
Like A Virgin - Madonna
Pieces of You - Jewel
Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys

I will have to get back to you on the top singles--there are too many to think of!

Rachel said...

I am so bad with names, I won't even TRY and name an album or single. I'll give you the short list: Toby Keith.

Okay, there's more - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Bucky Covington's new single, and um, George Strait's new single.

Oh, now I have a headache from trying to remember names! Argh.

Meow Meow said...

I will add my musical post sometime in the next few days.

Again, glad you made it home.

I am over here singing "Angie" at the moment---out of tune, I might add and a bit on the slow side, but singing nonetheless.

Suzy said...

I love most music but I can never remember the name of the songs or the artists!

Glad you are home safely. You will soon get rid of that gain once you are back on track.

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
I've seen your choices, good variation.

Jenny,
I'm the same I start making choices then change my mind.

Rachel,
I'll have to check some of these out.

Rebecca,
I'll look forward to your post.

Suzy,
Remembering names isn't important as long as we get pleasure from music whatever our tastes.

Moby Dick said...

Hot damn, like usual, I was a day late and a dollar short! Great list of faves, dude.

TitanThirteen said...

I just came from Spider63's blog, and his selection made me feel very young. So did yours! Thanks lol
I had a dream about you last night. I met you, but i couldn't add that i'd met you on my blog [physicaly] how weird huh?

Mick & Cathy said...

Spider,
Glad you like them.

Cactus,
You are young my friend compared to us wrinklies.
The reason you wouldn't be able to post about our meeting that you had a dream about is the fact I will have given you a whooping at Pool and you won't be able to admit it.