Saturday, May 19, 2007

Seeing the World

Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while will know how much I like travelling and seeing new places. They will also know two years ago I decided that I would concentrate my travel to visiting North American Cities. Since I made that decision I've been lucky enough to visit 8 different Cities (New York, Chicago, Memphis, Nashville, Toronto, St Louis, San Francisco & Seattle). On my next trip I'll add another to the list when I spend time in Boston.

Now when I origionally planned this I said I'd do two years visiting North America then start looking at other parts of the world. To be honest a couple of months ago I thought I was going to get redundancy from work and was sort of planning a longer than normal trip to visit Australia & New Zealand. Other parts of the world I want to visit are South America and some of the Eastern European Countries.

Anyway back to North America I've been thinking about whether I should visit elsewhere and come to the conclusion although I've seen a lot there is more I want to see so I'll be still concentrating my trips to this part of the World. I've really enjoyed the places I've visited, people in general have been nice, I usually have a good time.

Now for the record two places I definately want to visit (and will visit) are New Orleans and Austin mainly for the live music in both Cities. I know one of my blog friends Rebecca keeps telling me to visit N.O. so I have a question "Is September a good time to visit ?"

My list of other Cities that I wouldn't mind visiting if I get the chance are Philadelphia, Washington, Baltimore, Vancouver, Montreal, Savannah, Atlanta plus many others etc. but to be honest the list grows all the time and I probably wont get around to all these. I don't rule out returning to some of the places I've been a lot depends if I can get a decent flight/hotel deal.

I've been lucky enough on my trips to actually meet two of my blog friends and hopfully I'll maybe meet more on future trips, I like to think so.

Here are some of my ratings on the places I've been :-
Best Nightlife
1. Memphis
2. Chicago
3. Nashville
4. San Francisco

Best Park for Walking
1. Central Park (New York)
2. Forest Park (St Louis)
3. Toronto Islands
4. Lincoln Park (Chicago)

Things to do/visit during the day
1. New York
2. Seattle
3. Chicago
4. San Francisco

Most memorable things did/visited
1. Visit Niagara Falls (Toronto)
2. Bike Ride over Golden Gate Bridge (SF)
3. Taste of Chicago Festival (2005 & 2006) and I'll be back in July
4.

Best Friendly Pubs
1. Fado (Chicago)
2. Red Lion (Toronto)
3. Dan McGuiness (Nashville)
4. Beale on Broadway (St Louis)
5=Owl & Thistle (Seattle)
5=Elephant & Castle (Seattle)

Best Music Clubs
1. Any down Beale Street
2. Kingston Mines (Chicago)
3. Biscuit & Blues (San Francisco)
4. Andy's Jazz Bar (Chicago)
5. Club down Printers Alley in Nashville (can't remember the name).

Best Live Act seen :-
1. Ray Davis (Taste of Chicago 2006) I've always liked the music of the former Kinks frontman.
2. The Dempseys (Beale St Cafe, Memphis)
3. Marcia Ball (BB Kings, Memphis)
4. To be honest these 3 stand out but I've seen loads of great acts on my trips.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You certainly like travel don't you. I would say its cool that you have been able to meet up with a couple of Blog Friends.
Have you told what happend ?

Which other blog friends would you like to meet ?

Are you looking for more than friendship with any of them ?

Rachel said...

Hey Mick - if you do N.O., surely there's a way Rebecca and I can meet up with you. That would be so way cool! I haven't been to N.O. since high school but Brent and Rebecca could help you plan some good places to go too! That would be so cool!

September, huh? Surely I'll be able to put some money up. Around the 23rd is a good time - not that that's my birthday or anything (insert evil Rachel chuckle here).

Mick & Cathy said...

anon,
Yes I love travel and meeting people.
To answer your questions :-
1. Both meetings with blog friends have been told on this blog and theirs.

2. I'd like to meet all my blog friends one day, the reason I blog with them is cos they are people I like.

3. Thats a bit personal for someone thats anonymous but I'll say the majority of my blog friends are either married or in a solid relationship and I'm not inerested in chasing other blokes women.
As for the few that are single I will say I don't blog looking for a relationship but when/if I meet them and if the Chemistry is right then course I'd be interested, same as with any lady I meet. However they probably wouldn't be interested in me so it irrelevant.

Rachel,
N.O. is one option I'm looking at for September but not sure if its a good time or not (maybe still hurricane season). If not then I will do it in either December or April/May next year.
I won't be booking until I get back from my next trip so can't be sure where I'll get the best deal.
Meeting You and Rebecca would be awesome but if its not N.O. I'd still love to meet up on one of my trips.

Jenny said...

You definitely have hit some great highlights of North American cities--I don't think I have seen that much and I live here! new Orleans in September is probably a good time, not too hot but still good weather.

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny,
Thanks N.O. is a possibility for September if not I'll definately do it December or next April. It depends on where I can get a good flight/hotel deal.