Sunday, May 27, 2007

Sunday Sport - Only Winning Counts

Well for a fan of English Sport the saying "only winning counts" is haunting us this week, its just been a week of 2nds.

I'll start today with the Formula One motor racing and the prestigeous Monaco Grand Prix. Our boy Lewis Hamilton started the day leading the World Championship standings but was beating into 2nd place by Fernando Alonso. The Spaniard also leap frogged him in the overall table. I will add Lewis is doing fantastic in his first season at this level and is surely a future World Champion.
Also today another of our up and coming stars golfer Justin Rose lost in a play off for the PGA Championship to Denmarks Anders Hansen. Unlucky Justin but your time will surely come.
One sport we look like getting a win is in the Cricket Test match were we are totally dominating against the West Indies but alas the rain as arrived at Headingly and unless it changes the match will be abandoned as a draw.
While on Cricket even Yorkshire lost their first county Championship match of the season but one piece of good news is we still top the table.

Earlier in the week English team Liverpool were beaten 2-1 by Italians AC Milan in the European Champions League final despite been the best team and dominating much of the game.
While we are talking European Champions I'd like to wish former Leeds United Manager Jimmy Armfield all the best in his recovery from cancer. Jimmy was the manager that took Leeds to the European Cup Final back in 1975 when we were robbed by blatent bad decisions such as Clarks Penalty and Lorimers goal.

In fact I remember that day in Paris well, I was a teenager and making my first foreign trip it certainly got a bit scary when the fans got fed up with the cheating and tried to take the law into their own hands.

My Story - Paris 75

Was we cheated you judge for yourself :-

2 comments:

airliebird58 said...

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask! Robbed, fleeced, pick pocketed, there aren't the words to describe the utter criminality of the refereeing in the game! I think I'm right in saying that some years later it was discovered that he had been bribed!
A travesty that makes my blood boil to this day, and still fosters a great dislike of Bayern bloody Munich and Herr Franz Beckenbauer, who sportingly called us a 'dirty team' after the match.
Right, I'll count to 10 now! :)

Mick & Cathy said...

Its the 27th anniversary of this in justice today and I remember it like yesterday. The European Cup is our Holy Grail from the Revie era, it was the one Don set his sites on. One day we will return to this level we just know it.
I think every Leeds fan believes we won that day.
The sad part is we have been robbed by dubious refs on more occasions than an other club I can think of.