Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A decision to make ?

Yesterday it was Bank Holiday but as the forcast was rain I decided to go into work in the morning. I stayed until Lunch time and went for a walk around the large market we have in town on these occasions.

With it been a holiday it meant we didn't have a Pool match but last night I decided to go to the Pub in the hope some of the other players were there so I could maybe have a few games. My regular Monday drinking partner Lofty is away on holiday.

Anyway to my surprise five other members of my team turned up and then the captain dropped a bombshell. Apparently he wanted a meeting with us players to vote on moving the team to a different Pub.

The reason for this is that one of our players has had a disagreement with the Pub Landlord and basically there is friction between a few of our team and the Landlord. Now I had a feeling I was been sort of thrown in at the deep end with this vote because everyone voted to move, I said leave it while the end of the season and see what happens. The instigators of this have done their homework because they have already arranged a new place to go to.

One problem with the new Pub is it is in a village a few miles from my home while the Pub we currently play for is about one mile and I can walk it. I will add that the captain said he would sort out transport for us each week, some of the team don't drink and take their cars. Also I don't have any dispute with anybody and me and Lofty only joined this team this season actually dropping down a division to play for them. I think a lot of the friction started last season from what I can make out.

Our team is currently top of the 2nd division and we are almost certain to be promoted into the top division which we want to play in.
If I decide to not move with the rest of the team the 2nd team captain where we play said I could get a game with them next season, they are currently in the third division but should be promoted to the 2nd.

My choices are :-
1. Stay loyal to my team and move with them and play 1st division next year but play in a Pub that will never be my local.

2. Stay loyal to the Pub that welcomed us when we were looking for a team, play 2nd or 3rd division but play in a Pub I like and use as a local.

Big decision what do you reckon ?

6 comments:

Rachel said...

you are right - big decision. and i'm gonna say what sounds like a cliche but truly isn't meant to - follow your heart and to hell with those that don't like the decision you make.

Moby Dick said...

It is a tough choice. If the guys on your new team have become your friends, then it is tougher. I don't go to pubs, because there aren't really any around here, and the police are always hanging close to bars in order to pop the patrons for DUI.

So I can think of it in terms of my favorite gyms. The key is proximity to your home. If I could walk a mile to my gym I would be very happy.

My gym is 8-9 miles away. There is a closer gym that is about two miles away and I am trying to get their best deal when they mail it to me again (usually I don't have any extra money every time they send me the $99 annual special deal!). I have walked to that gym a few times and it is very nice.

So make the best choice that you may have to live with for a year or two.

Mick & Cathy said...

Thanks for your replys, my gut feeling is to stay with the Pub but I won't commit myself just see what happens.

TitanThirteen said...

Flip a coin.

airliebird58 said...

I'd stay with the pub Mick. By what you say the others had sorta made their minds up whatever you said. Mind you, wait and see is always a good way to go :)

Mick & Cathy said...

Cactus,
No just go with my instinct.

Airliebird,
I think it will be the pub but I'll keep my options open as long as possible.