Monday, November 27, 2006

Music Monday - CD Review - Stray Cats Extended Versions

As promised last week I will review the "Stray Cats" Extended Versions Album as selected by Cactusfreek and what great entertainment it is.

The Stray Cats are a Rockabilly Trio from New York made up of Brian Setzer on Lead Guitar, Lee Rocker (Leon Drucker) on Bull Bass and Slim Jim Phamtom (Jim McDonnell) on Drums.

I've attached a link to their website - Stray Cats

Rockabilly wasn't really big in the UK when the Stray Cats arrived in 1980 but their bad boy image fitted in well with the Punk scene at the time.

This album contains live versions of all of their Classic songs and is very good entertainment if you are in the mood for something lively.

The Songs :-

1. Runaway Boys - The groups 1st UK hit single is a great start to the album. It reached number 9 and I remember seeing the boys on "Top of the Pops" for the first time performing this and thinking who the hell are these.

2. Rock this Town - There 2nd chart hit and also reached number nine is a real rocker. Here it is almost 9 minutes long but the break up a bit in the middle to introduce the boys. A bit of audience participation at the end.

3. (She's) Sexy and seventeen - This reached the lower end of the UK charts but another great lively song (but arn't they all).

4. Gina (Don't you run with him) - Not a chart hit but one of my favorite tracks.

5. Stray Cat Strut - This only reached number 11 in the UK charts but I reckon was good enough to be a number one. It is probably Rockabilly's most famous song wrote by Setzer. When in Memphis last year I saw a very good Rockabilly Band called The Dempseys that did a great version of this song.

6. Elvis on Velvet - The groups tribute to Elvis another superb song.

7. Mystery Train - Not bad but not my top track.

8. Something Else - The groups version of the Eddie Cochran Rock & Roll classic. The Sex Pistols did a punk version of this song.

9. Rumble in Brighton - Aggresive lively number this song.

10.Look at that Cadillac - A song about a car, interesting finish but still good stuff.

My conclusion - Only 10 songs but great entertainment well worth buying.


My Score 8 out of 10.
Next Weeks Choice (some crackers to pick from this week) :-
Make sure you all vote for which one you want reviewing (if you don't know what to pick choose the sleeve you like the look of most).


1. Parallel Lines (Blondie) - Many think this is the groups finest album.

2. The End of the Begining (Eddie and the Hot Rods) - Brilliant album from the Pub rockers (not heard of them, you should).

3. Abbey Road (The Beatles) - Classic Album Classic Group.

4. The Collection (The Band) - Great stuff from Bob Dylans canadian ex backing group.

5. Beyond Elysian Fields (Hugh Cornwell) - Interesting stuff from former Stranglers front man.

6. Stanley Road (Paul Weller) - Arguably the "Modfathers" best album.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Without doubt "Eddie and the hot rods" best group that ever lived.

Meow Meow said...

Hmmm. It's Ironic but my VERY FIRST concert was the Stray CAts at the 1984 Worlds Fair in New Orleans. I was 13 and so thrilled dad would take me to a like rock show.

This was the time that Duran Duran had hit it OHHHH so big in Europe and America. I have been to hundreds and hundreds of concerts over the last 20+ yrs, but you always remember your first.

TitanThirteen said...

I beg to differ with anonymous. Not only can they not be the best group that ever lived, but i doubt they are even very good, as i've never even heard of them!!

My first concert was in 1980 and i was 10. My older sister took me to see KISS. I used to think the sun shone out of their asses!! I kept thinking that untill i got to about 20. I don't think too much of most of their music now, but i still have a big soft spot for them :o)

An extended versions Stray Cats Strut album..I got excited when i saw that on your post! But finding it would be like finding a needle in a hay stack! I'll be looking now that i know it's out there though :o)

Jenny said...

I just love the stray cats--it is 80s music that is still cool to listen to today. I request Abbey Road for the next go around, since I am not really knowledgeable about them.

airliebird58 said...

Eddie and the Hot Rods were a good band lol.
I go for Blondie though, mainly black and white cover you see, but a great album too! ;)
Didn't Patsy Kensit marry one of the Stray Cats? Many moons ago of course, before she married Jim Kerr of Simple Minds and Liam Gallagher, she's got quite a resume of hubbys that gal.

Rachel said...

Okay, I feel like the odd man out. Never heard of the Stray Cats - no, I'm not kidding. Never heard of Eddie and the Hot Rods either - once again, not kidding. I have heard of Blondie - is that one of the CD covers?

Mick & Cathy said...

Anon,
I don't know about the greatest but they were really good in their early days.

Rebecca,
You've seen the Stray Cats, awesome wish I had. I was never a Duran Duran fan though.

Cactus,
I actually found the Cats album in Memphis, I tend to trawl through record shops wherever I go.
You have got Eddie and the Hot Rods wrong they were very good.

Jenny,
Its amazing how many people do like the Stray Cats I mentioned this post to a few friends and everyone said they liked them but no one had a CD.
I'm surprised you no nothing about "The Beatles" they were a little bit big.

Airliebird,
I should have guessed you would go for the Black & white but it is a great album.

Rachel,
Amazed you have not heard of the Stray Cats I'm sure you would like them. I'm not sure Eddie & the hot rods would be known much in the US.