Saturday, November 04, 2006

November 5th - Bonfire Night


Tommorrow is November 5th which is Bonfire Night. For those that have never heard of it (your not all english) everyone virtually attends a bonfire on the anniversary of when a Yorkshireman (from York) called Guy Faulkes tried to blow up "The Houses of Parliment" in 1605 and kill the government of the day (doesn't seem a bad idea at times).


Anyway many Gardens will have a large Bonfire with Fireworks to celebrate this act. Traditional Foods are eaten such as Jacket Potatoes (done in the fire), Toffee Apples, Parkin (Ginger Cake) & Roast Chestnuts. Kids just love this occasion.

A life sized Guy dressed in old clothes is actually made and burn't on top of the fire. On the days leading up to the 5th the Guy is paraded around town by the youngsters and they demand "Penny for the Guy". People cough up their money and the kids go home happy (beats mugging).

My memory's is the various Gangs on our estate trying to build the biggest bonfire, the secret was to burn your rivals a couple of days early. You guarded yours with your life, I remember spending many nights sleeping in a tent on guard duty.

I never said us English were sensible.

9 comments:

airliebird58 said...

Well its started a day early here. The noise!! Scares my cats and it goes on untill the small hours. Well actually people have been setting off fireworks for a couple of weeks now.
Drives me mad!

ArleneWKW said...

It sounds ever so slightly a little bit like Burning Man, the desert festival that I've been attending in August for the last 6 years. In other words, it sounds very very cool.

Rachel said...

Who wants to be sensible all the time? That's boring. I agree with Arlene, it does sound very, very cool.

Of course, if Coach Shula keeps losing to teams Alabama should eat for dinner, we may have a Burn the Coach doll and parade in Tuscaloosa, Alabama!

TitanThirteen said...

I think they still celebrate Guy faulkes day in NZ. Not in Australia though. We have the Queens birthday holiday instead :o)

So who won the Tri-Nations footy last night?

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
I know what you mean I went to bed early last night because I was up for work this morning.
I may have well not bothered I thought I was in Bagdad.

Arlene,
I think it is a good thing that different parts of the World have their own celebrations.

Rachel,
I've never been totally sensible in my life, its much too short to be serious.
I know how your feeling about your team, I think our teams are running in Parallel (but it sorts out the real fans).

Cactus,
I never realised anywhere else celebrated it.

Jenny said...

I had heard of Guy Fawkes day but not about this bonfire tradition. Sounds like a good bit of fun--I always like burning stuff down!

Modigliani said...

I just learned about Guy Fawkes day at another site, and promptly came over here to ask you about it. Ahh... and you already have a post about it! :)

A bonfire, and good food sound like a lot of fun. I hope you are enjoying it, WRB!

Remember, Remember the 5th of November
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot!

Modigliani said...

PS. Have you seen the movie "V for Vendetta" ... much of the theme revolves around citizens revolting and blowing up parliamant. I think they must have been inspired by Guy Fawkes.

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny,
It is good if it was kept just to the night. Problem is they sell fireworks to anyone and night after night it becomes a nuisance.

Mo,
"The Gunpowder Plot" in our history is a strange thing to celebrate but the film makers are always looking for ideas.
I can't recall seeing the film you mention.