Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sport Sunday - The Good and the Bad.

Well we will start with the good bit my soccer team Leeds United actually won this week with a resounding 3-0 home win over the mighty Colchester (who). Two goals from Robbie Blake and one from Richard Cresswell did the trick, hopfully this win will kick start our season. I reckon given time new manager Dennis Wise (seen below) will start to turn our fortunes around, so far he is making all the right noises.

Carrying on with Soccer we must lead on with the debate point "Is the Championship stronger than the Premiership". We'll this week we were given a good argument Red Vermin top of the Premier were knocked out of the Carling Cup by bottom of the Championship Southend with a resounding 1-0 win. So that should sort out that argument.

The next bit of Football gossip I'm afraid my Blog friend Joel (DCnats) has some explaining to do. What are these rumours that your star young player Freddie Adu is about to move to play for the "Red Vermin" see report - Adu to join Scummers

On to Rugby its been a bad weekend for my country with the GB Rugby League team well and truly beaten by New Zealand 34-4. Very dissapointing following last weeks performance.

Our Rugby Union team also suffered embarrasment been defeated by Argentina 25-8 I make that seven defeats in a row for our reigning champions.


So on to our Cricketers who have now arrived in Australia to prepare to retain the Ashes, They are obviously putting the Aussies into a false sense of security by playing real garbage in the warm up games. When Freddie and Hoggie get bowling at full throttle I'm sure the Aussies will fall apart.

While I'm mentioning our friends from down under I'd like to bring another sport to the discussion table "Australian Rules Football". I remember about 10 years ago it was shown on our channal four every Saturday morning and I actually found it a Good specator sport and enjoyed watching. My favorite team was West Coast Eagles perhaps some of my Aussie readers can update us what is happening in this sport.

This week Womans Tennis have had a big Ladies Championship held in Madrid with eight of the Worlds top players competing for the Title. The Final is between Justine Henin (Belgium) and Amelie Mauresmo (France).
Ok all us blokes are gutted Maria Sharpova lost in the Semis to end a 19 match winning streak, there is something I like about her just can't put my finger on it (perhaps some of you can spot the reason ?).

In Heavyweight Boxing Calvin Brock despite winning his previous 30 fights faild in is attempt to snatch back the IBF version of the World title when he was well beaten Vladamir Klitchsko.
Ok let us know whats happening with your sports teams Ladies and Gents ?

This weeks debate point is Sport at the Movies.
Thinking about it a lot of sports movies are about Boxing (not all), I suppose it provides a natural Rags to Riches Storyline. Anyway my ten favorite Sports movies are :-

1. Million Dollar Baby (Womens Boxing) - Any Film with Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman in has got to be good but these two super stars are put in the Shadows by an awesome performance by Hilary Swank.
2. Raging Bull (Boxing) - Robert DeNero plays the true life story of Jake LaMotta, classic movie.
3. Mean Machine (American Football) - Burt Reynolds film is just great entertainment for all the family.
4. Paradise Alley (Wrestling) - Sylvestor Stallone pre "Rocky" made a sports film where he played his brothers manager taking him to the top in wrestling.
5. Escape to Victory (Soccer) - Mr Stallone again but in a film about a World War Two Prison Camp where the inmates take on the guards. The cast includes many greats including Pele & Bobby Moore. Fun for the family.
6. Cinderella Man (Boxing) - Russel Crowe telling the true story of Champion boxer James J Braddock, seen this recently and it was a good film.
7. Rocky 2 (Boxing) - My favorite Rocky Movie Mr Stallone, the first was good as well and I would probaly have it on my list but decided to only include one from this series.
8. Mean Machine (Soccer) - Remake of the Burt Reynolds film but change of sport with former Leeds United hard man Vinnie Jones taking the lead role.
9. Somebody up there likes me (Boxing) - Paul Newman playing the life of Rocky Graziano in a strong movie.
10. Tin Cup (Golf) - Kevin Costner plays washed up Golf pro, good entertainment.

Ok I know I've a few American viewers but "Field of Dreams" only just missed out.

Whats your favorite sports movies ?

13 comments:

ArleneWKW said...

Unrelated to your subject, but I like the new look of your blog.

Suzy said...

We just watched "Cinderella Man" this week and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the tips on the other boxing movies, my DH loves boxing. I can watch the movies but I have to turn away when they are actually boxing.
Have a fun week.

Rachel said...

Well, my American college football team got trounced. But, we all expected that. They are young kids and will come along in a year. To make it more palpable, two of our BIGGEST rivals went down in defeat also - happy dance, happy dance.

And - time to GET Belbo one more time....(insert evil Rachel chuckle here) as his fav team is my fav team's rival and they play each other this week.

I don't watch a lot of sports movies - I like comedies (what a surprise, huh?) mainly and action movies like Stephen Segal is in.

airliebird58 said...

sometimes I find it hard to sleep on a night, so I listen to radio. On 5 live, I think its a Saturday night, they have whats called the world football phone in. The American expert has mentioned Freddie Adu quite a few times. Apparently there's a bit of a question mark over his real age. He's not as young as he says he is.
The England Rugby League team beat Tonga today too, almighty fight at the end, lasted about 5 mins!

TitanThirteen said...

We only watch the NRL, AFL isn't our thing. In Oz, it's either one or the other. Just something else to bicker about lol

TitanThirteen said...

And excuse me, but "our" ashes are staying right where they belong - In Australia :oÞ

Careful, or we'll be on your doorstep to show you what real thuggery is lolol

Mick & Cathy said...

Arlene,
I thought I'd try Beta Blogger, I'm just getting used to all the extras. I like the idea of Labels so you can put your posts in catogaries.

SS,
Million Dollar Baby is a must see even for people that don't like boxing.

Rachel,
I hope your team wins next week as your my friend. I reckon you need a Dennis Wise as coach.

Airliebird,
It would be just like them lot to sign someone who doesn't know his own age, should fit in well with the rest of the childish prats.
The win against Tonga was needed following th NZ match.

Cactus,
Your Ashes, you make me laugh, where are they now.
I was reading today that the average age of your squad is 32 and ours 26, five day tests are a long time for old men.

Mick & Cathy said...

I've just thought of more films that could go on my list :-

Sea Biscuit (Horse Racing) - Good film about a famous American Racehorse.

Champion (Horse racing) - About Bob Champion winning the Grand National on Aldaniti after recovering from Cancer.

This Sporting Life (Rugby League) - Old film I don't think I've seen but I'm sure Airliebird would be interested.

airliebird58 said...

I have seen 'This sporting Life' ages ago now, wasn't it Richard Harris in the lead?
In RL the England team is used as like a GB 'B' team. The true 'footballers' usually get a chance, sadly they don't seem to hit the GB side. We have not one true playmaker in the squad now Sean Long has been mysteriously sent home. I fear for em on Saturday.
There will be some hope if Richard 'gawd bless him' Horne gets a go in the backs, but then I'm being biased :)

Rachel said...

Forgot to answer your boxer question, I think. My favorites are George Foreman, Sugar Ray Leonard and Evander Holyfield. The last one, by the way, has a fight coming up but it's on Pay per View so I'll have to wait for the rerun on the sports channel.

My dad died when I was 9 but my mother loved sports - she taught me about boxing, golf, tennis, baseball and football. I learned basketball on my own and taught her all about it. Pretty cool, huh?

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
I believe you are correct and it was Richard Harris.
Sean Long will certainly be missed, he was playing so well.

Rach,
Three great boxers but I think its time Holyfield called it a day.
I reckon your Mum did a great job bringing you up it must have been tough for all of you.

Jenny said...

Unsurprisingly my two favorite sports movies are Hockey movies--Slapshot (great Paul Newman flick) and Mystery Alaska (Russell Crowe in a likable role).

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny,
Ive seen Slapshot but never heard of the other film, I'll have to look out for it.