Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sport Sunday - Whats happening in the World of Sport ?

Well to add to my regular Wednesday weigh in I've decided to do a couple of theme days on my blog for a few weeks, Sunday will be Sports articles while Monday is music night where I'll review Albums from my varied collection.

I know not all of you are interested in Sport but those that are lets see your comments and tell us how your heroes performed in the last week, thats the one's you like or you can slag off the one's you hate.

So we will start here with Congratulating the GB Rugby League team with their fantastic 23-12 victory over Australia. This was despite the Aussies reverting to Thuggery in particular Willie Mason.



Don't want to panic my Aussie readers too much but our Cricket team have just set off to your country to retain the Ashes (don't worry the Barmy Army will be following). All we hear from our opponents is what Glen McGrath and Shane Warne will do to us but wasn't they in your last team that were well beaten and they are another year older now.

I must mention soccer and it ain't getting better for Leeds United since last Saturdays crucial win we were well outclassed by Preston in midweek the yesterday beaten 3-2 by Barnsley in the Yorkshire Derby dropping us into the relegation zone. We led at half time 2-1 and were dominating the match but once again we faded in the 2nd half. I think the new coaching staff recognises that the fitness levels are not what they should be and will sort it out.
Good to see Gylfi Einarrson returning from injury although he only got 9 minutes, he is a player I rate and when match fit will make a difference.

I must also say there was some great results for English Clubs in European Competition this week. Pride of place however goes to the mighty FC Copenhagen for their fantastic 1-0 victory over Manchester United (normally known as Red Vermin or Scum).

Boxing - Congratulations to Carl Johanneson (nephew of the great Albert the first black man to play in a wembley FA Cup final for Leeds of course) who retained the British Super Feathweight Championship stopping some unbeaten up and comer from Bradford.

On a sad note this week saw the murder of former World Champion Trevor Berbeck in his now home country of Jamaica. Berbeck was the last man to beat Mohammad Ali.

Shannon Briggs won one of the versions of the heavyweight title beating some unknown Russian. Briggs 35 last fought for the title 8 years ago when he was outclassed by Lennox Lewis but his victory removes the Russian domination of the heavyweight scene (standards have certainly dropped).


Talking Heavyweight Boxing for those interested this weeks question - Who do you reckon was the greatest heavyweight of all time ? Add your list to my comments

My list is as follows :-
1. Rocky Marciano (the only unbeaten man)
2. Mohammad Ali
3. Jack Johnson
4. Joe Louis
5. Gene Tunney
6. Jack Dempsey
7. George Foreman
8. Mike Tyson
9. Larry Holmes
10. Lennox Lewis

15 comments:

Jenny said...

Now, here in the US, Sunday sports in the winter means only one thing--FOOTBALL! (and I don't mean soccer) My fav team is the New Yourk Giants and their young quarterback Eli Manning. He has quite a family history in the game. His father Archie played pro QB for New Orleans and his big brother Peyton is rated the best QB in the entire NFL playing for the Indianapolis Colts.

This week my Giants are playing at home versus the Texans--Go Blue!

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny,
I've heard next Season its been voted that a couple of the NFL matches are going to take place in Europe. At least one of them will be at the New Wembley Stadium in London (if they finish building it).
One question - Don't Boston have a team (I'm surprised you like a NY team) ?

Rachel said...

Love boxing!! I watch the Colts and am a big Peyton fan (even if he went to the wrong college - spit). Love basketball - big Spurs fan and at the collegiate level, of course, Alabama. Saw a rugby match on a Friends episode - does that count?

Mick & Cathy said...

Rach,
So who do you reckon was the best boxer ?

airliebird58 said...

Fantastic performance from GB. I downloaded the Australian coverage match just for the extra gloat,(tee hee) they really thought we'd be a walkover. But for once we played to OUR strengths and not try to be like the Aussies. BTW now Stuart Fielden maybe indisposed with a broken nose, look out for one of my lads coming into the team, Gareth Carvel. Believe me, Mason WONT deck him!
Continuing on the boxing theme,*wink*, I always loved Ken Norton, wasn't as clever as Ali, but always gave his all. Marvin Hagler was another fave. I prefer watching the lower weights now like Eric Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera, fantastic fighters.
I think you've hit it on the head Mick with the fitness levels at Leeds. I'm sure Wisey will sort em out, he's always looked as fit as a lop.
My choice of NFL team are the Oakland Raiders, don't ask me why, I just like the look of them, even though they haven't done all that well the last couple of seasons. I think maybe I can empathize with their mad fans lol.
End of novel, sorry for going on!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to say Ali is the Greatest....since he's from my hometown! Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!

Love the post....i really like themed days....that's a good idea :)

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
Norton was a excellent Boxer and fought Ali twice both winning one.
I believe he broke Ali's Jaw.
I think he only won one World title fight before Foreman bounced him all over the ring.
Heavyweight boxing was strong at that time because on top of these three there was Joe Frazier another good fighter.
Have you seen the video "Champions Forever" which features these men and Larry Holmes.
Middleweights I agree about Hagler been brilliant at a strong time. I have a video called "Fabulous Four" which features all the fights between Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns and Roberto Duran, awesome fights.
Leeds United I hear Wisey has sacked the fitness coach.

RNG,
Ali was brilliant and as a sports personality there has never been anyone bigger world wide. You must feel some pride coming from the same place.
I give Marciano the edge because he is the only heavyweight champion in the 20th century to go unbeaten throughout his career. It would have been good to see some of these blokes meet in their prime.

airliebird58 said...

Who was our fitness coach? Homer Simpson?
;)

Mick & Cathy said...

Dunno but a lad who is a season ticket holder told me this at work today, I'm more sure than ever Wisey will eventually sort it out.

Joel said...

1. Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Rocky Marciano
4. Jack Johnson
5. Jack Dempsey
6. George Foreman
7. Mike Tyson
8. Larry Holmes
9. Lennox Lewis
10. Sonny Liston

Marciano was one of the greats, clearly, but his undefeated record is as much a credit to him knowing when to get out as it was to his boxing skills... A lot of guys on these lists would have had a much better legacy had they retired at the right time... and lets not forget the time Ali lost over the Vietnam draft stuff.
Great list though and great topic.

Mick & Cathy said...

Joel,
What you say is correct and a regular argument when it comes to comparing Marciano to people like Ali & Louis.
He actually beat his hero Louis when he was on the way down but I just reckon you can only beat whats in front of you. He had a tremendous will to win like all good champions but knowing when to get out showed a intelligence we don't often see in boxers.

ArleneWKW said...

Well my hubby was delighted that the 49ers won on Sunday. (And my daughter was actually at the game.) Apparently it was a very exciting one at that.

TitanThirteen said...

Just you cut that out! lol

Anonymous said...

Joe Louis
Mohammad Ali
Rocky Marciano
Mike Tyson
Jack Dempsey
Jack Johnson
Larry Holmes
Evander Holyfield
George Foreman
Joe Frazier

Mick & Cathy said...

Arlene,
Winning is the important thing to supporters but if its a good game as well its a bonus.

Cactus,
I was expecting amuch more aggresive Aussie response but I suppose you know when your lot are on a loser.

Anon,
History as produced some great fighters and I reckon you could make a case for all the fighters named.