Monday, November 13, 2006

Music Monday - CD Review - American Pie

As voted for from last weeks list I will review Don McLeans American Pie Album.



McLean is a talented Singer/Songwriter with an excellent voice he is more well known in his native America than in other countries. He had two number one hits in the UK but surprisingly his most famous song and Album Title Track "American Pie" only reached number two over here but did top the American Chart.

American did get to number one a few years ago but this was the cover version done by Madonna, not a patch on the origional.

Roberta Flacks "Killing Me Softly" was actually written as a tribute to McLeans voice.

This Album is one of the all time classics and is a must in any decent music album collection. I actually only have a vinyl copy as I have a CD (also called American Pie) but this is McLeans greatest hits.

American Pie is a awesome Song (almost 8 minutes long) and tells the history of Rock music, it was recently listed the 5th best song of all time. Many experts have over the years tried to work out the lyrics but you can check out this web site for a explanation :- American Pie Lyrics explained

One of McLeans UK number one singles is actually on "Vincent" another classic that tells the Story of artist Vincent Van Gogh. For info his other number one was "Crying" which is not on the Album.

All the other tracks on the Album were wrote by McLean and I believe although none were released as singles in the UK a lot made the American chart.

Other tracks are as follows :-

Till Tomorrow - Such a gentle sedate track you have got to relax while enjoying this.

Crossroads - Again so relaxing you have got to like this song.

Winterwood - Catchy little tune.

Empty Chairs - Not my favorite but still a good performance.

Everybody Loves Me, Baby - D Mc speeds it up for this one, good beat to this song.

Sister Fatima - Classic McLean.

The Grave - McLeans anti-war song is up there with the best in this catogary.

Babylon - The album could do without this, not good enough

My Score 8/10.

Just a great Album to sit back and relax while you listen.

Ok your next weeks choice of possible Albums to review is as follows just let me have your vote.

1. Fighting Back - Live Album from Hazel O'Conner, one I rate.

2. Setting Sons - The Best Album by The Jam in my opinion.

3. Ordinary Peoples Lives - Former Kinks frontman Ray Davies first solo album.

4. Layla - Derek & the Dominoes great music from Eric Claptons early days.

5. Extended Versions (Live) - A bit of Rockabilly from The Stray Cats.

6. Mojo Mamas - A collection of the finest Blues lady singers in Chicago.

12 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, cool review of Don McLean. Most excellent job, my friend.

Jenny said...

Wow, I never knew that about the Roberta Flack song--very cool! BTW, I like the new layout!

airliebird58 said...

Ah, I see you have had a mess about too. The green is a nice colour and easy on the eye.
Isnt it funny how you know all the words to sing along to certain songs even though you haven't owned them to listen too. American Pie is one of those for me :)

Mick & Cathy said...

Thanks Ladies but somebody has got to pick next weeks CD. If in doubt do what I do when you get 4 for £x special offers and you can only find 3 you like. Pick one on instinct or because you like the sleeve.

Rachel said...

Okay, the sleeve I like is #4. It's way cool looking.

ArleneWKW said...

I'm not sure that I remember American
Pie. I tend to like a variety of music, but rarely remember song titles and performance artists. I was curious about the song though and unsuccessfully tried to download it. I got the message that the site may be "busy." I'll try again later.
This music review that you're doing is a cool idea.

Mick & Cathy said...

Rach,
Thanks

Arlene,
I'm quite surprised you can't remember the song.

RedNeckGirl said...

Great review and thanks for sharing the fact about Roberta Flack.....I didn't know that. :)

Mick & Cathy said...

RNG,
I also didn't know about the Roberta Flack thing untill I was checking some facts for a quiz I was setting last year.

ArleneWKW said...

Okay, when I found the lyrics, I easily recognized the song. Like I said, I rarely remember song titles and performance artists. Also, names of flowers and birds. Also prices. That chip was inproperly installed in my computer from or before birth.

As to the song, yup I like/liked it. I never realized it was historically so important or had so much symbolism in it.

TitanThirteen said...

I still have a Stray Cats CD. I'm impressed that someone else does lol

And as for the Aus cricket team - 32 isn't old geez!! I just turned 36 and now you've made me feel like an old fart! rofl

Mick & Cathy said...

Arlene,
Yes the words make the song facinating.

Cactus,
Nowt wrong with The Stray Cats, great entertainment.
You are only a baby at 36 I can give you 12 years.