Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Music Years - Great Live Acts I've seen - The Jam


The Jam

I saw "The Jam" back in about 1980 at Bridlington Spa and they were awesome. The three members Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckner who were school boy friends from Woking, Surrey.

They formed the group as teenagers in 1973 having their first chart hit "In the City " in 1977. They went on to have numerous chart hits including 4 number one's "Going Underground", "Start", "A town called Malice" and "Beat Surrender".

One of my personal favorite songs other than these is "The Bitterest Pill"

They also had a string of succesfull albums with my personal favorite been "Setting Sons" (check it out).

When the group split up in 1983 main songwriter Weller went on to form another succesfull group "The Style Council" with keyboard player Mick Talbot from "The Merton Parkas". Weller followed this up with a solo career and is still going strong today, I am still a fan and have got most of his albums.

Weller pictured above was recently given the services to music honour at the Brit awards.

What Live Group from years ago influenced you ?

3 comments:

airliebird58 said...

I tell you what, didnt Brid Spa get some good acts? I remember David Bowie on there, and T Rex.
I never saw the Jam live, but what a corking band they where! I got their greatest hits recently, smashing stuff :)

Mick & Cathy said...

airliebird,
Yes I agree Brid Spa always seemed to get the top acts, it was an awesome venue.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»