Monday, May 15, 2006

Day 10 - The Big Match


Friday came and I was nervous Championship play off semi-final 1st leg Leeds versus Preston and I am in Nashville. Following research I knew one bar in town "Two Doors Down" was showing the match live from 1.30pm.

I got up at 9.30am following another hectic night out and got ready for my morning walk. As I got dressed what shall I wear was not an option as my White Leeds shirt came out of the drawer, also my Leeds cap was to be worn the locals were about to be educated.

Proudly I walked from my Hotel to downtown Nashville parading my colours for all to see (not a scum shirt in site). Around 12 noon my pre match nerves were twitching so I made my way to the sports bar for a beer or two to get me in the mood. Missing breakfast I checked out the bar menu and noticed todays special was Fish & Chips (fries), now this is a Yorkshire delicacy, the gods are with us, my order was placed.

When the Fish came it turned out to be Catfish which was ok but not a patch on Cod or Haddock so I had to quickly swill it down with a couple more beers.

I got talking to a couple of local that were watching another TV stressing the importance of this match but they kept watching the bull riding on the other channel.

Kick off time 1.45pm came I ordered another Beer but no match I was panicking what has happend but relief came when the message came on the screen "kick off delayed for 15 minutes for crowd congestion". The pictures then scanned Elland Road Stadium it was packed to the rafters.

It the showed the players in the tunnel Leeds in White, Preston in Yellow when one local Fruit Cake came over looked at the teams, looked at my shirt and asked the question "Which is your team ?" I was polite with my answer.

The match started with Leeds on top, I was continually up off my stool in excitment, my drinking got faster and faster. During the first half penalty turned down be blind referee, Killa hits the post, things not going well.

Half time came so I ordered more beer and tried to teach the locals the words to "Marching on Together" but I think they were a little shy about their singing.

The second halh started and after a few minutes disaster struck, a rare Preston attack, our defence stood like statues, goal, one nil Preston, I ordered another beer and slumped back on my stool.

For the rest of the match play was scappy I was quiet until 10 minutes from time a Leeds attack was stopped by a foul, free kick 25 yards from goal, was this our chance. Preston formed their wall and up stepped our AMERICAN International Eddie Lewis. A thunderous curling left foot shot into the top corner, weve equalised, I love Americans, we are back, I ordered another Beer.

The match finished one apiece so it was going to be decided at Preston while I am at Chicago airport on my way home on Monday, I just hope I can find a TV that is showing it.

After the match I had a few more beers with the locals before making my way back to my Hotel at 5.30pm. I thought I'll have a couple of hours nap on my bed before going out for the night and my evening meal.

I had the nap but didn't wake while after 1am a little late for getting ready to go out and I was starving so it was a raid on the Hotel vending machine for junk food that night.

One good thing was the fact that I made breakfast for the first time.


Further Story - On the way home I couldn't find anywhere at Chicago Airport showing the 2nd match. I arrived back in England not knowing the result and was desperate to find out.

I got to Manchester Airport Railway Station got on my train with my luggage when I noticed a shop on the platform, my train had 6 minutes to go so I asked a man to watch my luggage while I ran from the train grabbed a newspaper and went to the counter to pay, as soon as the lady asked for my money I realised my wallet was full of American dollars my English money was in my bag, I apologised gave her the paper back and ran back to the train.

It wasn't while one hour later when I got to Leeds station that I found out the result a 2-0 victory, Leeds in the final. this match is against Watford in Cardiff next sunday 21st May with the winners getting promoted to the Premiership.

Photo is of Leeds players celebrating after the 2nd leg in Preston.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One more win and we'll be back.
Look out Chelski, Scum, Scally's, Gooners, yids, smog monsters, Geordies and the rest we are on the march again.

PFG said...

Hm....I've been invited to some brit's house for a party having to do with Arsenal on Wednesday. No idea what that is about - since the Brit is a professor, I'll just smile and say "sure! great! Go Arsenal!" alot. Any tips?
;)

Mick & Cathy said...

Wal,
Plenty of old scores to settle next season, I can't wait.

Pfg,
This match is the big one for Champions of Europe. However us Leeds fans don't recognise this as we have been unofficial champions since 1975. Read my post dated 10th March "Paris 75 - The dream ends in violence" to understand why.

PFG said...

Oh well pub last night was a sad occasion anyow (we are supposed to call it "Pub", a proper noun, as in "Are you going to Mike's?" "No, I can't make it to Pub tonight"). Pub is in Mike's finished bar basement. It is very pub-y.

It was decked last night with Arsenal flags and black streamers. We listened to the blues and stared into our drinks in commiseration for Mike. This marks the sum total of my experience in things soccer related.

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»