Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Vacation - The Good Bad and Ugly who I met

I have just got back from vacation about two hours ago, so this is just part of the story. Ok I visited Chicago and Nashville as us tourists do attended various attractions. I will post some photos later for those interested but this vacation is more about the people I met and believe me there were certainly some charactors amongst them. I think virtually everthing happend at some stage, parts I may have to leave out.

Day 1 - Travelled to Manchester Airport to stay over at Bewleys Hotel and after a meal in the restaurant decided to go into the Irish Pub next door to watch the Barcelona versus AC Milan champions league semi-final soccer match.
Was peacefully watching minding my own business when some cockney plonker decided he wanted to talk to me and impress me with his know all soccer knowledge. Just to give you a clue his first question was "Why isn't David Beckham playing for Barcelona ?" I pointed out it could be something to do with he plays for Real Madrid. He then watched for 20 minutes before realising Barcelona were not the team in white.
All was revealed later when he admitted to been a Millwall fan.
After the match I decided the best move was to go back to my hotel and shake this idiot off that was really irritating me.

Day 2 - Arrive Chicago and after been interragated by the gestapo at airport security I eventually made my way to my Hotel. I was tired after the 8 hour flight but starving so I decided to go to one of my favorite Chicago pubs "Fado" on Clark/Grand. The reason I chose this is because the people are normally friendly, they sell English pints, and have superb Cheeseburgers.
I walked around the bar and there was one seat left so luckily I had two lovely young ladies to my right and one to my left. I ordered my drink and meal and was about to divulge when the lady on my left asked me if I minded her smoking. I was honest and said yes I do while I am eating, this seemed to me a reasonable request but she got the huff on finished her drink and left.
This left a gap at the bar but three blokes aged around thirty came and stood there. One was obviously quite drunk, he was very loud, really irritating and was swearing every other word. I think the bar staff had his card marked but I decided to do the honourable thing, I politly asked him to tone down the language as their were ladies present.
His reply was something like "Whats the F**k it to do with you". This made me smile which seemed to get him more angry because he then asked "what you f*****g laughing at you t**t".
This actually made me laugh and he threatend me with violence before his friends dragged him out.
I found this amusing because this bloke was so drunk if he threw a punch he would have fallen over, the bar staff had him covered anyway, what an idiot.

Day 3 - I decided to do the Lincoln park walk which I enjoyed during the day as the weather was fine but not too hot.
On the evening I visited Andy's Jazz Bar where at last I met some nice people. Jeff the owner remembered me from previous visits and came straight over shook my hand and found me a good seat at the bar. The first part of the evening was spent talking to a lawyer who spent a lot of time in England. His wife was from Finland and was also nice.
When they left I spent the rest of the evening with three nice ladies from Vancouver Island Canada. They turned out to be Hairdressing teachers (not a lot of good for me) in Chicago on a convention. I got photos with these ladies but I will not put anyone on my blog who I don't ask first.

Day 4 - All isn't always what it seems - story to follow

Day 5 - Meeting with fellow blogger Regina and another lady later - story to follow

Day 6 - Yes Regina if you read this I attended the Immigration march and took some photos (some I will post later). I was at Jackson and State and watched the thousands of marchers pass by and I later went to Grant Park for a short period. Dissapointing evening but you need to read day 5 to understand why.

Day 7 - Welcome to Nashville - story to follow

Day 8 - During the day saw a Husband and wife duo sing in a bar (I only drunk lemonade) but I can't remember what they were called but I have a photo. Evening I went out about 6pm and ate a massive steak and was totally bloated, then went to a club while the early hours and saw a Rock group fronted by two ladies. The group was called "Magnolia" and were very entertaining. They only did cover versions no origional stuff but included a lot of songs I like.

Day 9 - Did a lot of walking during the day around Nashville (needed the exercise). Went for a meal then to a club and to my shock was twice approached by GAY men (once in the restaurant once in the club). Now for the record nothing makes my skin crawl more than the thought of what two men can get up to yuk. I think they got the message from my carefully chosen words.
I got back to the Hotel about 1am and nearly got lucky, I was just getting in the lift when a lady stood at reception (early forties ?) shouted hold the lift. I waited and she got in and was also going to the third floor same as me. When we got out her friend was sat on the floor outside their room half asleep, The first lady explained that their electronic key would not open their room door and the man on reception was usless.
She asked if she could use my phone to contact reception to see what is happening, both ladies came into my room. The 2nd lady said she was really tired and just wanted to get to bed, she commented that I had two double beds and could they share my room for a night. Always been one to oblige I was just agreeing with such a great idea when the night manager appeared with a 2nd key for their room (prat). Well win some lose some.

Day 10 - The Big Match - story to follow

Day 11 - Still recovering from Day 10 the drinking was limited but I still did the country and western bars on Broadway, good fun and met loads of nice people. The place was heaving with people.

Day 12 - Saw a really nice girl singer in Legends Corner Bar, apparently she normally works behind the bar and sings part time elsewhere, the rest of the bar staff was really giving her some stress (in fun) but it was entertaining.
My last night and I needed to be up for my flight at 6am so I decided to go to the Irish Pub that I visited on my first night in town which was near my Hotel. The plan was to have a meal a couple of beers and back to my room at about 9.30pm.
I got talking to a number of really nice people at the bar and generally enjoyed the night. One of the girls who served me was a singer that performs every friday I would have liked to see that. She was called Alyssa and told me her style of music was "Southern Rock" and she has her own group. The other Girl (Megan) that served me played ladies soccer and had lived for a short time in England and wants to go back.
I also met a couple of singers from Conneticut and we all had a good chat, I was a good boy though and was back in my room for 10pm.

Day 13 - The long journey home included leaving my hotel at 7am getting to Nashville airport for 7.30am, the flight was slightly delayed but I flew to Chicago at about 10am arriving at 11.30am. I then had a boring 7 hour wait at Chicago airport followed by an 7.5 hour flight to Manchester. For this flight I ended up on the very back row sat on the middle seat of three between two lovely older ladies.
They managed to keep me awake all flight as neither of them could work out how to operate the remote controls for their televisions and they would wake me evertime they wanted to change channel (I didn't mind we had a good laugh).
When I arrived at Manchester I faced two train journeys first to Leeds then a short journey home. I eventually arrived home at 11am on day 14 (22 hours after leaving my hotel).

4 comments:

Regina Rodriguez-Martin said...

I love that you were going to gallantly share your room with two total (lady) strangers. What a prince! Hilarious.

Unknown said...

Hi WRB! I am glad you are back and I look forward to reading "the rest of the story"....LOL sounds like a good trip.

Regina Rodriguez-Martin said...

I'd never have your patience with people who kept waking me up on an airplane just to help them change the channel. You ARE a nice guy! Have you recovered yet from your trip? We're all waiting for more stories..

Mick & Cathy said...

BF,
Your correct I had a great time.

Reg,
A Prince I like that.
You couldn't get mad with the ladies I even had to put the earphones on for them, they were really funny.

Tex,
More stories coming today.