Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sunday Sport

Yesterday it was the most famous Steeplechase in the World "The Grand National", this year won by a 33-1 shot "Silver Birch". Before anyone asks I didn't back the winner I went for Hedgehunter which finished 9th. The race is over 4.5 miles and the horses have to jump 30 fences.Silver Birch (left) clears the last.

I actually once attended Aintree for this great event back in 1977, I was actually at Canal turn so only saw the horses pass twice but I will always remember it cos it was of course the year "Red Rum" won for the third time, the only horse ever to achieve this. I was in the City of Liverpool that day because Leeds actually played Liverpool in the Morning.

While we are on to Soccer last week I reported Leeds had pulled out of the relegation zone with victory on Saturday. Well they dropped back in on Monday when they threw away the lead at Colchester to lose 2-1.
However yesterday we beat Burnley 1-0 thanks to a goal from Matt Heath and although we are still in the relegation zone (3rd bottom) Hull, Barnsley and Leicester are clearly in our sites, we only need to move up one place. Luton look down and Southend arn't looking good.

The Cricket World cup is still going on and Australia, New Zealand and Sri Lanka look nailed on for the Semi-Finals but England are still in there fighting. It looks like we'll have to beat South Africa to qualify.

Today was the third Formula one Grand Prix of the season and it has just been won by Phillipe Massa, Our boy Lewis Hamilton continued his great form finising 2nd. What a start to a carreer for a rookie in his first 3 races he has now finished on the podium in every race (3rd, 2nd, 2nd). I know there is still a long way to go but Hamilton is in a 3 way tie at the top of the World championship standings with former Champions Alonso and Raikennen, he couldn't win it could he ?

I'll mention Rugby league for my blog friend Airliebird as her side recorded a good victory over Salford and now seem to be getting their act together. Super League looks tight this year but St Helens seem to be getting into gear however Leeds Rhinos, Bradford Bulls & Wakefield are all putting up a good Yorkshire challenge. I'll leave it to Airliebird to tell you about the player in the photo.Back to Soccer and I see over the Atlantic the MLS has started, I'm not sure how it works so if anyone can explain please do. Teams seem to be split into two divisions "East" & "West" with 7 teams in the East section but only 6 in the west. However it also appears there is some crossover of matches because today two teams who won their opening encounters Colorado Rapids from the West section entertain Chicago Fire from the East.The stadium above belongs to Colorado and is where todays match will take place. I haven't yet decided which team I'm going to support but and I'm not taking sides today as I have a blog friend in each place (Jenny "Colorado" & Regina "Chicago").

Todays other match New York Red Bulls play FC Dallas.

David Beckham had better get a move on as his team LA Galaxy have only one point to show from their opening two games.

League Standings :-

East - Kansas City Wizzards pld1 - 3pts, Chicago Fire 1 - 3, New England Revolution 2 - 3, Columbus Crew 2 - 2, New York Red Bulls 1 - 1, DC United 2 - 0, Toronto FC 2 - 0.

West - FC Dallas pld2 - 4pts, Houston Dynamo 2 - 4, Chivas USA 2 - 3, Colorado Rapids 1 - 3, Real Salt Lake 2 - 2, LA Galaxy 2 - 1.





5 comments:

Meow Meow said...

I hope the teams you want to win, WILL.

airliebird58 said...

The Hull FC player in the pic is Paul Cooke (aka Cookie)one of our half backs. (You may recall Mick, he scored the winning try when we won the Challenge Cup in 2005) He has just returned to the team after being out for 5 matches with an injury. He really is pivotal to the team, like a central cog that everything works around.
We do need back up in his position though, we have winged it for too long, mainly because he hardly ever gets injured.
I'll shut up now, I'll bet you don't ask me to comment on a pic again eh Mick? lol

Jenny said...

Everyone out here has been very excited about the opening of the new state-of-the-art facility where the Rapids will play. I haven't been yet but it is supposed to be very cool. Maybe I can catch a game this summer.

celtic_girl said...

Seeing a Grand National is one of my dreams as I'm a big horse racing fan. Our big Autumn carnival here in Sydney has just finished. Go the Aussies in th cricket.

Mick & Cathy said...

Rebecca,
I can't seem to pick which team to support. I think I'll develop more interest when the English season is over in a few weeks.

Airliebird,
Yes I will.

Jenny,
I'll definately have to get to a soccer match on one of my trips, just to compare the atmosphere. I think US sports fans are a little different to the Brits.

Celtic,
I was lucky falling for such an historical race for my visit to the National.
If we can sneak through in the Cricket we'll probably play the Aussies in the Semi.