Sunday, April 08, 2007

Sunday Sport - The Great Escape

Yes "The Great Escape" is on, for four months my team Leeds United have been stuck at the bottom of the Championship table, the football world have been writing us off. But Yesterday we won again making 5 matches without defeat and the big news is we are out of the relegation zone. 4th bottom is a result believe me we will settle for that, the light at the end of the tunnel is shinning again.


Yesterdays 2-1 victory over Plymouth Argyle was massive, once again we went behind but the team backed by our fanatical supporters (biggest crowd of the season) never gave up. That man David Healy grabbed an equaliser just before half time and with 5 minutes left on the clock our Slovakian Centre Half Lubomir Michalik (photo below) rose highest to head home the winner.

Its been a massive weekend for Sport, today I'm going to watch the final round of the US Masters Golf it looks like it could be really close. I wish I was in Augusta watching it live that would be a great trip, maybe have to do it one day, it looks a great part of the world.

Australian Stuart Appleby is leading by one shot from Tiger Woods and Englishman Justin Rose (the one in red in photo), many others are in contention. Come on Justin.
In Formula One motor racing it was the 2nd round with the Malaysian Grand Prix, it was one by McClaren driver Fernando Alonso but another great performance from young Englishman Lewis Hamilton who came in 2nd.

In Boxing Welshman Joe Calazaghe made 20 succesfull defences of his Super Middleweight World Title by stopping his opponent, he is some boxer.

Rowing gets a mention this week as it was that event again "The Boat Race". For those that don't know anything about it the Universities of Cambridge and Oxford race along the River Thames in London over a distance 4 times greater than the Olympic distance. Its been going on for years and is an old English tradition, this years race was won by Cambridge.

England have been playing Holland at Tennis in the Davis Cup and won yesterday at 3-0 up so today's singles are irrelevant. Andy Murray and Tim Henman won their singles on the first day and yesterday a doubles win for Greg Rusedski and James Murray sealed the match.
Afterwards Greg announced his retirement and I reckon he's done pretty well (15 career titles) since moving to our country from his native Canada. He once held the record for the fastest serve (149mph). The Cricket world cup is still going on and its not looking great for England reaching the Semi-Finals following their 2 run defeat by Sri Lanka. Today they play Australia who have looked unbeatable so far.
Well done though to Bangladesh who yesterday beat one of the favorites South Africa. Violence reared its ugly head in Europe this week, first in Rome with clashes between the home sides Ultra's and travelling fans of Manchester United. Although I hate the Red Vermin of Manchester what happend was totally out of order. Of course the local police do what they always do in Rome and attack the English supporters with their batons and let the locals get
away with it. This always seems to happen in Italy the Police are bigger thugs than the fans at times, Similar things happend when Leeds went there, Liverpool also got a hammering.
I'll also point out Roma's so called Ultra's are a bunch of cowards and usually only attack other fans when they have significant more in numbers as happend against Middlesborough last season.
Not to miss out the Spanish Police of Seville did a similar Baton Charge into Tottenham supporters the following night. Why are some countries living in a time warp ?
While we are talking of Football violence it was this week seven years ago that two Leeds Supporters Christopher Loftus and Kevin Speight were slaughtered on the streets of Istanbul at the hands of the scum that follow Galaterasary. You will always be remembered lads.

Billy's statue became a shrine to the two fans.

Every Leeds fans in Turkey actually turned their backs to the match in protest to it taking place following the murder of their friends.

5 comments:

airliebird58 said...

PS. About the murder of Christopher Loftus and Kevin Speight, I know someone was arrested, but didn't he get a very light sentence or something like that?

Mick & Cathy said...

I think initially he got a long sentence but won his appeal and was let out just before England played in Istanbul a couple of years ago. I'm sure the publicity was just to wind up the fans.

Rachel said...

I have always liked boxing for some reason. My father died when I was 9 and my mother loved sports. So, she taught me football, boxing, golf (yuck) and I learned about basketball and then taught her how to follow it.

I just haven't been able to get into hockey or soccer, but I have tried. I think football and basketball stay my first loves!

Anonymous said...

hey Mick

just read your comment and thanks very much for taking the time out to read me even though i've been MIA for so long.

You are right about how quickly it came off, at the time i didn't really think much of it, it was just looking back and realising that i became fatigued with being too rigid with what i put in my mouth so it was a bit like i rebelled or something...

Anyway, we'll see how i go and whatever happens happens.

I just want to be fitter and feel a little more comfy in my own skin again.

I have been reading but of course can't comment! It's beyond painful but at the moment in the living situation there isn't much I can do.

Am currently supposed to be doing my job application but... distracted by blogger of course!

ok, best get on with it, you take care, thanks for reading, will keep you posted.
x

Mick & Cathy said...

Rachel,
Its great to have ladies among my blog friends that love sport.
I'll have to work on converting you to Soccer but I'm sure you'll be trying the same on me for American Football.

San,
Its great your still reading when you can and its even better to see a comment from you.
I'm not the one to comment on losing weight I've had a very heavy last few days (no will power I'm afraid) and I think Wednesdays weigh in will be a disaster.
I hope you get on line soon.