Monday, April 23, 2007

Music Monday - The Modfather

This week I'm going to post three songs I like from of my favorite English Singer/songwriters Paul Weller "The Modfather". One song each from the three stages of his career "The Jam", "The Style Council" plus the "Solo" part of his Career.

I first saw Paul back in 1980 when he was the main man in "The Jam", teaming up with former school friends Bruce Foxton & Rick Buckler. The Jam in their short time became one of the most influential British groups or their era having know fewer than 5 number ones and many more top ten hits. On their surprise break up in 1982 they rereleased all their singles and had a phenominal 17 songs in the UK chart in the same week, still a record today I believe.

In 1983 Weller teamed up with keyboard player Mick Talbot of "The Merton Parkas" to form "The Style Council", they were joined by singer Dee C Lee later to become Wellers wife. Also joining the group was drummer Steve White who is still with Weller today. The group again had a lot of success with numerous top ten hits. This was a completely different sound to "The Jam" and opened Wellers music up to many new fans.

Since the brak up of The Style Council in 1989 Weller has had a very distinguised solo career writing and performing many great songs. So todays songs take you through thirty years of the English music scene. He has also played guitar for many other groups including such as lead on "Champagne Supernova" for Oasis.

The Jam - The Bitterest Pill (2nd last song by the group made No2 in the Chart).

The Style Council - Headstart to Happiness (never released as a single but I like it).

Paul Weller - Wild Wood (Title track of one of his many great albums).

Bonus Track - Well it is "St Georges Day" so we have to play Paul performing "English Rose" a song he wrote when with "The Jam".

I don't know if any of you have been playing any of the songs on "Todays Music Choice" on my sidebar but if you haven't these are what you have missed this week :-
Monday - The Stanglers (a bit of Punk)
Tuesday - Mama's and the Papa's (Some great sixties)
Wednesday - Rod Stewart & the Faces (some early Rod)
Thursday - Bob Dylan (a bit of Bob's style of Folk)
Friday - ABBA (two pretty girls from Sweden)
Saturday - Muddy Waters (The great Blues singer)
Sunday - Marrianne Faithfull (good stuff from Mick Jaggers ex, plus a duet with David Bowie).

3 comments:

airliebird58 said...

Well considering the recent events at my beloved Hull FC, I'll go for the 'Bitterest pill'
My sis and I loved the Jam way back when, and my youngest daughter recently discovered them when she listened to their greatest hits album. My girls always seem a bit surprised when they discover they like something we listened to when young, I sometimes think they think we listened to Englebert Humperdink or something lol

celtic_girl said...

I liked The Style Council Song.

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
The bitterest pill is a good choice.
I think The Jam actually broke up too early I think they had so much to offer at that time. They were big but could have gone on to be one of the biggest bands ever, they were so popular.
Bruce Foxton & Rick Buckler have recently reformed with someone else in the Weller role, they are due to tour this year.

Celtic,
Its one of my favorite STC songs, they did some good stuff.