Monday, April 02, 2007

Music Monday - Animals & Birds

Before I start on this weeks chart has anyone noticed the new feature at the top of my side-bar "Today's Music Choice". I'm hoping to post a different act most days so just click on the pictures to play and enjoy.

On to todays post and another Challenge for everyone this week - How many songs can you come up with that has the name of a Bird or Animal in the title ?

Good Test I reckon and I've come up with no fewer than five Classics all worth a view.

Albatross (Fleetwood Mac) - Arguably the best ever Instrumental record of all time.
This song made No1 spot in the UK on its 1969 release it also reached No2 in Holland & Norway, No4 in Sweden & No5 in Ireland.
Q Magazine named it No37 in the greatest guitar tracks of all time.

Eye of a Tiger (Survivor) - The Rocky films would not be the same without this superb song. It was actually the theme song for the third Film in the Rocky series but was a big hit in its own right reaching No1 in US, UK, Finland & Australia in 1982.

Poor Cow (Sham 69) - A bit different from what many people think is England best Punk Group. The group was formed in the mid-seventies by lead singer but broke up in 1980 when their concerts were hijacked by the Skinhead movement resulting in many riots. They reformed in 1987 with founder and lead singer Jimmy Pursey got back with songwriting partner and guitarist Dave Parsons. Last year they returned back to the UK charts with one of Englands World cup songs "Hurry Up England" a variation of their earlier hit "Hurry up Harry". This song "Poor Cow" is an album track.

Little Red Rooster (Rolling Stones) - A Fantastic Bluesy number from one of the greatest groups of all time. I always reckon the Stones play some fantastic Blues songs and I don't know why they don't produce a complete Blues album. Great here to see on this footage the late Brian Jones on slide guitar. Bill Wyman RIP in there as well, this is classic Stones Album track.

Tiger Feet (Mud) - Fun time group from the early seventies with their most famous song.
This song reached No1 in the UK in 1974 and I remember in my youth it been really popular at parties.

9 comments:

Meow Meow said...

Never heard of Sham 69. I wonder why???

TitanThirteen said...

How about that strange Pink Floyd song thats title goes something like, "A group of tiny animals gathered together in a cave with a pict"

I win coz it's plural lol

That song sounds completely different when listened to while stoned for some reason!
*cough cough* so i've heard :oÞ

Jenny said...

What about "Fly like an Eagle"... I love that one!

celtic_girl said...

Eye of the Tiger for me,

"Baby Elephant Walk" not a song but a piece of music by Henri Mancini - One of the first full pieces I learnt on the piano, also Flight of the Bumble Bee.

Anonymous said...

Well Mud had another one "The Cat crept in" I think.

Some inspired choices here.

Rachel said...

i love the eye of the tiger - such a cool song!!

Mick & Cathy said...

Rebecca,
Knew you'd like them !

Cactus,
Everthing sounds different when stoned.

Jenny,
Not heard that one who performed it ?

Celtic & Rachel,
I must agree Eye of the Tiger is a superb song.

Paul,
I remember the Mud song and I always make INSPIRED choices.

airliebird58 said...

Tiger Feet for me. I've always remembered one of those useless bits of info you read from time to time. Apparently the Hull area, where I hail from of course, is where something like 50% of the Mud fan club came from, something like that anyway :)

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
I'd never heard that fact before, Mud were certainly popular in their day though.