Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sunday Sport - The last 24 hours starts well.

Well at the start of the weekend my Soccer team was 4 points adrift at the foot of the Championship and in serious relegation danger. They had 16 matches left and at 90 minutes per match I make that 24 hours of soccer to save themselves.
Well I'm pleased to report they have started well with a 2-1 victory over Crystal Palace with goals from MathewHeath and Robbie Blake (see photo). We are still bottom but the welcome 3 points has brought us back in touch with our nearest rivals. We have also played a match less than the others.

On a good note Richard Creswell & Kevin Nicholls returned from injury and our new Danish Goalkeeper Casper Ankergren played well. But on the flip side Eddie Lewis, Tresor Kandol & Frazier Richardson picked up injuries. We already have Flo, Kelly, Healy, Thompson & Derry on the injured list.

However this is Leeds United and even a simple home victory can't be without controversy, apparently one of our squad players passed our team sheet to the opposition coaches and as been told by our manager he will never play for the club again. The jury is still out on who it is and it would be unfair to speculate, I'm sure all will be revealed soon.

So only another 22.5hours of nailbiting tension to go.

While talking Soccer the MLS are in the news again and this time it is "Colorado Rapids" who have developed a partnership with English Club Arsenal. They are coming to England to train with Arsenal in preparation for the start of the MLS. I expect to see them used to give experience to some of Arsenal's young players and believe me Arsenal have some great talent in their ranks. I suggest Jenny & Craig check them out this season.I would also like to mention that England played so well in their mid-week friendly against Spain but they didn't so I won't. For the record they lost 1-0 and the point is we will win nothing with that Muppet McClaren in charge. Great coaching decisions 1. Start match without a left footed player. 2. Go one nil down so bring on two defenders immediately. 3. Actually believe Shaun Wright Phillips, Michael Carrick & Phil Neville can play at this level. 4. Think Peter Crouch can run and chase long balls.

At last our Cricketers have started to perform the have actually reached the one-day final series to face Australia who to be far have hammered us all summer. But Stone the crows we've actually gone Two-nil up in the 3 match series. We have now become the first team to beat the Aussies in a one-day series on their own turf for about twenty years. Well done to Paul Collingwood for his match winning performance's. I knew we'd come good !

On to Rugby Union and England won their 2nd 6 nations match this time against Italy 20-7 with Leeds Born Jason Robinson scoring our only try. Credit to the Italians who played well but England looked far from World Champions and should be hammering them.
I'm looking forward to todays match Ireland versus France which should be a cracker.

I know Airliebird will do better write ups than me to let you know Super League Rugby has started. I'm sure she will be cheering on her heroes Hull (as a quiet Yorkshire lass does) when the kick off against French side Catalan Dragons. Hull came 2nd last season but I'm sure they have a good chance this time out so for my blog friend I wish them luck.
Champions St Helens lost Friday night against Harlequins so they won't be happy.


4 comments:

Jenny said...

That is too cool! I think I mentioned before that I always like Arsenal and now they are linked with the Rapids which is really cool. I haven't yet been to a game since I have been in Colorado, but I think we might check them out this year. Each 4th of July they have a big game with fireworks afterwards and it is quite the event so perhaps we will have to check it out!

airliebird58 said...

Well Mick, what a to do about the team sheet thing! What on earth possessed someone to do that? I read on a forum that Wisey had to be pulled off the player and I dont blame him one bit. I wonder if they can keep his name a secret as there's a good chance he could be found floating down the River Aire! (only joking lol) I got an on line feed of the game on Saturday and the lads didn't play to badly at all, I'm optimistic! :)
England on Wednesday, good Lord, they should use tapes of England matches on the National Health for insomnia!
Onto England of the other code, nice to see ex-league player Jason Robinson go over for a try, but all the other points where scored by Johnny Wilkinson, I know he's a great player but one of the reasons I don't like union is because they kick too much, so I think he can be a double edged sword.
Onto my beloved Hull FC, well, we are being tipped for the top by many pundits, so of course, we go on to play like a load of puddings today, and just scrape a draw. This has caused much hilarity amongst Rovers fans, as they are above us in the table now.
I have one thing to say to em...enjoy it whilst you can!
I've gone on a bit too much sorry lol.

Unknown said...

Greetings -- I like the idea of "Sport in 24 hours". I would like to speak with you about publishing some articles on the day of sports.

michelle@sportingo.com

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny,
I remember you mentioning the Arsenal thing, when you check the Rapids out let us know what you think.
I'll have to get to a MLS match on one of my trips.

Airliebird,
You've not gone on at all its great having lady blog friends that are knowledgible about sport.