Sunday, February 25, 2007

Not our day but we gave it our best shot.

As I reported on Friday I've been away this weekend to Blackpool with my British League team. Thanks Sandii & Celtic Girl for you good luck wishes but alas it wasn't to be.
We started well Saturday with an hard fought 5-3 victory against "St Mary's Hull" but leaders "Barrow" matched our result with a impressive 5-3 win against a strong "Croda Halton". Against the Hull team personally I won one lost one but movement was difficult with my knee hurting and I felt slightly out of touch to my lack of play over recent weeks.
Next up was the big one against "Barrow", first game on I loaded up with pain killers to play their top player. I was not up to the pace at the start and went 2 sets down but managed to fight back and level at 2-2 but a bad start in the deciding set saw it run away from me. Later in the match I played ok to win my other game and my teamates battled hard but we could only manage a 4-4 draw still leaving us one point adrift.
Still in with a shout we needed to beat "Halton" sunday morning and hope either "Uxbridge" or "Murrayfield" could do some damage against "Barrow". However it wasn't to be as "Halton" held us to a draw and again I scored a personal 1-1. Barrow won their morning match 5-3 to move 2 points clear of us and with a superior sets difference it was all over, we were going to finish 2nd win lose or draw our last match.
I made the decision not to put myself through any more pain and sat out the last match, the team battled hard but the hearts were not really in it and we lost 6-2, there's always next year.

While in Blackpool we had an enjoyable time other than the TT, nine of us went and found a nice little family run hotel, the people there were really friendly. We all went out for a meal at an Italian Restaurant on Saturday night which was really good. I had Veal cooked in a white wine sauce for my main course (ok the diet may have suffered). Afterwards we went on to a Club were we met up with a lot of players from other teams. There were 4 divisions playing in Blackpool so 32 teams in the City.

5 comments:

Suzy said...

T least you had a good time, and that's all that matters.
Hope your knee is OK.

(Thanks for your comment about my tea cosy. I love eating licorice allsorts too!)

celtic_girl said...

Sorry you did not get the result you wanted but I'm sure you all gave it your best shot. Glad you had a good time though

Sandii said...

hey Mick,

thanks so much for the clip, i'm bummed we'll miss them :-(

i have to say, i was pretty excited when i saw the title for Sandii :-) thanks, it's very sweet!

sorry to hear you guys didn't have a win but, like you said, always next year.

don't worry about the diet, it's all about balance and you have to be able to let your hair down every now and then!

gosh, i'm a prime example, i've become a booze hound since being here :-)

hope you're well, will post from Memphis, i'm so excited!!!

take care
xx

Jenny said...

Yikes, loading up on pain killers doesn't sound too good. Try and take it easy and don't over do it. You want to be able to really enjoy those vacations you have planned!

Mick & Cathy said...

SS,
Thanks so far I've had no reaction from the knee.

CG,
We tried and to be honest we've had a good season considering we nearly got relegated last season.

Sandii,
I know what you mean about the Booze Hound I tend to drink far more when away.

Jenny,
You're correct its not good to play on pain killers and I wouldn't have done it but it was such an important competition and I didn't want to let the team down.
I will add any pills I took were prescibed by the doctor.