Monday, February 12, 2007

Music Monday - 4 songs I love

This week I've picked four songs that I really love. In my opinion its a tough choice to pick between them, what do you think ?

1. Angie (Rolling Stones) - I love loads of stuff by the Stones but I reckon this is my favorite. Lets face it the Stones are the ultimate rock group and nobody can argue they have passed the test of time.
This song in the main was wrote as a Ballad by Keith Richards in 1973 shortly after the birth of his daughter Angela. Although another tale suggests it was wrote about Mick Jaggers relationship with David Bowies wife Angie.
For the record it reached No5 in the UK chart but was top in the US.

2. Behind Blue Eyes (The Who) - Another group that passes the time test is The Who and I love this song. The only unbelievable fact about The Who is they have never had a UK No1 single in all these years despite been one of the biggest acts of all time.
It was origionally wrote in 1971 by Pete Townsend for the Album "Who's Next" and was never relesed as a single.
I also have versionsof this song by Bryan Adams and also Sheryl Crow. However no one performs it like Roger Daltry just an awesome song. It was recently covered by Limp Bizkit but as yet I havn't got that copy.

3. Bell Bottom Blues (Eric Clapton & Bobby Whitlock) - This clip here is from the Jools Holland show in 2000 thirty years following the break up of Derek and the Dominoes and the first time these two great muscicians performed together since the split.
I'm torn between this and Layla for Erics best ever song both absolutely fantastic.
Unbelivably the origional single in 1970 never made the charts, don't ask me why.
If anyone is ever in that music city Austin Texas, Bobby now lives there and plays most Tuesdays at the Saxon Pub with his wife Coco.

4. Nights in White Satin (Moody Blues) - This all time classic was taken from the groups 1967 album "Days of Future Past". On its release it reached No 2 in the US but only No19 in the UK.
The song improved its UK showing by reaching No9 in 1972 and on its third release No 14 in 1979. It can't be bad to make the Top Twenty in three seperate era's again the test of time means a lot, great song by a superb group.

I can't wait to hear your comments on this lot, enjoy.

8 comments:

celtic_girl said...

Well Mick, this week is a hard one.I am not a huge Stones fan - always felt they were a bunch of prats poncing around on a stage(Sorry to all you fans).Also never had much time for The Who as they were a bit before my time. HOWEVER, I am voting as:-

1.Angie - What a great rendition, so much feeling,I'm going to see if I can get it on a greatest hits CD

2. Behind Blue Eyes - I agree with you Mick, I like this version better and is Roger Daltry hot or what girls! Corrrr

3.Whites in Night Satin - A classic

4.Bell Bottom Blues

I can't beleive The Who never had a No 1 in th UK - facinating.
Thanks Mick, I have come to look forward to these.Aslo I'm starting a petition to get Spider back - hook on my blog.:0)

TitanThirteen said...

Nights in white satin is my fav out of those 4 :o)

Unknown said...

All 4 are good songs. Reminds me of better days :)

Jenny said...

I am such a geek-- Knights in White Satin is my fav of the group...

Mick & Cathy said...

Celtic,
Thanks for the nice comments, it makes it worth posting.
I think Spider is back with us.

Cactus,
All time Classic song.

Tex,
Think Positive better days are just around the corner.

Jenny,
If I was looking for words to describe you, Geek wouldn't be amongst them.

Sandii said...

hey Mick,

have just been catching up with your entries.

hope your aches are getting better. like the fact that you bought a flower for charity and lucky girl who got it.

thanks for checking in on me and commenting... i'm still not sleeping, which is why i have time to blog! :-)

go you with your losses, well done!
x

Meow Meow said...

Hi Mick. Sorry I haven't been around much. I have way too much on my mind.

1. Angie
2. Behind Blue Eyes
3. BEll Bottom Blues
4. Nights in White Satin

I got burned out on 'Nights" every classic rock station in New Orleans played it over and over and over.

Mick & Cathy said...

Sandii,
Nice to hear from you, don't worry about the sleep its overated the main thing is you're having fun.

Rebecca,
Don't worry about not blogging you have far more important issues at present.