Sunday, February 04, 2007

Sunday Sport - Jonny comes marching home


The big news in English sport this weekend is the fact Golden boy Jonny Wilkinson has returned to our national Rugby Union side. The last time he played was 3 years ago in the world cup final where he scored the winning points. Since then he has suffered a string of serious injuries and the team has gone from bad to worse virtually losing to everyone they played.
Jonny was inspirational scoring half of Englands points in the 42-20 victory against Scotland in the 6 Nations championship.

English sport has certainly to a upturn this week with the cricket team actually beating the Aussies in a one day match.

Around the world its currently the Dubai Golf Classic and after 3 rounds the leader is South African Ernie Els (photo below). In form Tiger Woods trying to make it an amazing 7 tournament wins on the bounce is 3 shots behind.

I'll Have to mention today is the Super Bowl played in Miami between Chicago Bears and Indianapolis Colts. I'm not going to pick a team as I reckon my blog friends are split on this one.

I won't be watching as with the time gap it is on overnight over here and I'll have to be up for work.

On to Soccer and a bit of news this week, Congratulations to the Congo Youth team who have just won the African Youth Cup in their first ever final. Love to see teams in all white winning.

However its been a sad week for soccer with violence in the news around Europe. The worst incident was when Scicilian Rivals Palermo and Catania supporters clashed on friday in an ugly riot. Over 150 people were injured some critically and one police officer lost his life when some yob threw an home made bomb in his car. All Italian League games were cancelled this weekend.

Another country with a problem is Holland with one of their teams Feyenord Rotterdam being thrown out of the Uefa Cup following rioting by their fans.

Many countries including Turkey, Poland, Germany, Russia, etc. are having major problems with hooliganism which used to be called "The English Disease" back in the bad old days of the 70's & 80's.

I remember them days well when the gangs of all the major cities virtually fought a civil war trying to prove who was top dog. The thing that always fascinated me was the Gangs names and my clubs gang "Service Crew" were among the most infamous. Other gangs to avoid included "Headhunters" (Chelsea), "Inter City Firm" (West Ham), "Bushwackers" (Millwal), N.M.E (Newcastle), "Red Army" (Manchester Utd), "Soul Boys" (Cardiff), "Zulus Warriors" (Birmingham), "Governors" (Man City), etc.

For the most part English soccer is about as safe as anywhere and over the last few years crowds have increased with many more families returning. Flare ups are fairly rare and not normally on the scale of the major riots in the bad old days.

On a lighter note congratulations to the speed cop that caught the most hated man in world soccer Cristiano Ronaldo, serves him right.

This weeks big MLS rumour is Frank Lampard has been approached to join Chicago Fire now if this happens the MLS will be getting one of the worlds best goal scoring midfielders at the top of his game. I'll believe it when I see it.

And finally a change of sport, do you reckon the Rowing team were excited to meet Royalty, Her Highness looks impressed.

11 comments:

Sandii said...

gotta love those "show me all you DON'T have cossies", now are they an Aussie team, they look like our colours...

hope you're well.. mised a bloggers picnic this arvo, my young boy cut his feet, still trying to work out how... look like nasty grass cuts if you can believe it??

have had a few bundy and cokes tonight, mmmm the booze goes down WAY TO WELL!

bring on Friday when i fly to Sydney, spend the night with my bestest girl Suey then fly to the USA! although having said that i'll miss all my boys desperately!!!
xx

celtic_girl said...

I was there that day the rowing team won at the Sydney Olympics in 2000.We were way over the other side a million miles away from the finish line, but hey I was there and the excitement was electrifying.Princess Anne is probably thinking Hmmm the water must be pretty cold!! lol

airliebird58 said...

Now I usually can only stand about 10 mins of Rugby Union, but seeing 2 ex- league players where playing for England (Andy Farrel and Jason Robinson) I gave it a go, managed about 15 mins so that was good! It goes to show the standard of Rugby League compared to Union fitness wise when 2 ex players both well over 30 are playing for England RU.

Mick & Cathy said...

Sandii,
I reckon its a good idea to practice your drinking before Friday.

Celtic,
I wonder if Pricess Anne smiled ?

Airliebird,
When it comes to England I could watch any sport, especially beating the Jocks.

Meow Meow said...

I am glad the Colts won last night. Although I have a fever and didn't watch all of the game. I did watch the first 1/2. I felt awful.

Have a good feel good day.

Joel said...

As much as I would love to see Lampard in the MLS, I seriously doubt it... we'll see.

Mick & Cathy said...

Rebecca,
I actually watched the first quarter of the match but with the time difference I was a bit tired.

Joel,
I doubt that Lampard will go yet but it was in this weekends papers.
Check out my Sunday Sport post from 21st Jan, another player linked with a move to the MLS is Robbie Fowler and the team "DC United". Apparently Addidas are sponsering all these proposed moves.

RedNeckGirl said...

OMG....that last pic is priceless!

TitanThirteen said...

I'm with Celtic girl, that water must have REALLY been cold! lol

Joel said...

I'd be thrilled to get Robbie Fowler... sadly the only EPL player we've actually gotten during this transfer window is some guy named Yinka Casal who is a 19 year old reserve from Fulham. He's available and actually willig to come to the MLS so that probably tells us all we need to know about what kind of skills he has... we'll see.

Mick & Cathy said...

DC,
If the rumours are correct all the transfers will happen in the summer. I think the aim is to get one big name star in each MLS club.