Monday, February 26, 2007

Music Monday - A bit of Variation this week

So what type of music do you like because this I've choose songs from four completely different styles and to be honest I like them all.

If there is nothing here that takes your fancy I reckon I'm struggling.

1. B.B. King "How Blue can you get" - I'll start with the blues and who better than Blues Boy King (real name Riley B King). Born in Mississippi in 1925 BB is considered the third best guitarest of all time behind Jimi Hendrix and Duane Allman by Rolling Stone magazine.
He even has a name for his favorite guitar "Lucille".
This excellent clip is from "Blues Brothers 2000".

2. Simon & Garfunkel "The Boxer" - A bit of easy listening from these former New York schoolboy friends, I love this 1969 song that was later used in the Daniel Day Lewis film of the same name.
It charted at No10 in the UK and No7 in the US but is better known as one of the tracks on the "Bridge over troubled water" album one of the greatest ever (40th according to Rolling Stone mag). This was their last studio album and a must have for any music collection.

3. Martha Reeves and the Vandellas "Dancing in the Street" - Motowns 2nd most famous girl group after the Supremes are actually my favorite from that lavel. I really like this 1964 song (wrote by Marvin Gaye) that reached No2 in the US and No4 in the UK. It has been covered many times since and is always a favorite.
Martha actually originates from Alabama.

4. The Band "The Weight" - This Canadian group started out as "The Hawks" but after becoming Bob Dylans backing group they became known as "The Band". Rolling Stone Mag made this song the 41st most influential Rock & Roll song of all time.
The song actually featured on "Easy Rider" soundtrack.
And for Rebecca although its a bit late I'll point out I knew there was another group where the lead vocalist was the drummer.

I'll certainly look forward to your comments on these.

10 comments:

Meow Meow said...

Actually my preferences would be those in which you put them. I like BB, his soul just comes out on that guitar.
S & G are mellow and have a happy hippy feel....

Good post! I like your music stuff!

airliebird58 said...

Got to go with BB King, top stuff! I defy anyone to keep still while listening to that :)

Jenny said...

While I am definitely a BB King fan, I must say I would go with Martha and the Vandellas because that song just makes me want to dance around and feel happy. I love it!

Rachel said...

Well, I like country music - Toby Keith, Big N Rich, Brooks and Dunn, Kenny Chesney.

I like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - they are way cool swing.

I like (please don't laugh) Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Lou Rawls and Tony Bennett.

I like classical - sometimes Strauss can pep me up when nothing else does.

I am so eclectic in music. Geez, no wonder I have such a roller coaster life, huh?

Mick & Cathy said...

Well I'm gutted two of the songs are failing to post don't know whether to blame Youtube or blogger.
Enjoy anyway.

Oral said...

I will agree with Rebecca..but I'd put Simon and Garfunkle first. I like the harmony they share.

Mick & Cathy said...

Thanks for your comments ladies, personally I love all the songs I post. As I've always said I love all types of music except rap.
Rach, nothing wrong with your taste at all music is a personel thing. I don't know your country singers but I do know Sinatra has an awesome voice.

Meow Meow said...

Awww...sorry about your comment, on mine. I am actively seeking my soulmate!!!

Anonymous said...

I'd go with "the boxer". i absolutly love that song!! in honesty its probably not too fair a refelction as i do not know masses about B.B King but i know how good that song by S and G is!! do love Martha and the Vandellas though, gets everyone going when that comes on! Rich

Mick & Cathy said...

Rebecca,
Good luck with the search.

Rich,
Yeh I like the S & G song but I can't get it to post for some reason.