Monday, February 19, 2007

Music Mondays - What England in the 70's gave us !

In the Mid to late 1970's England went through a phase when many interesting groups came on the scene producing a mixed bag of styles from Punk to Mod to Goth to New wave to Pub rock.
Here is a mix from that era that sort of covers that period :-

1. Eddie & the Hot Rods "Do Anything You Wanna Do" - Ok the lead singer is called Barrie not Eddie but Eddie sounds better. This is the group that should have made it big but didn't, still produced some fantastic stuff though.This song is always classed as the "Teen anthem" and Charted at No9 in 1977 and was their biggest hit.

2. The Stranglers "Strange Little Girl" - The line up of this group has changed many times from the 1974 origional line up of Hugh Cornwell, Hans Warmling, Jean Jaques Burnell & Jet Black but over the years the've produced song great songs this one included.
For the record this song reached No7 in the UK chart in 1982.

3. The Damned "Grimly Fiendish" - Another group that have changed line up numerous times since their formation in 1976. However the line up as always contained either Captain Sensible or drummer Rat Scabies.
This song only reached No27 in the chart following the groups change from Punk to Goth but I reckon its a great tune and good video.

4. The Jam "A Town called Malice" - Arguably old schoolboy friends Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton & Rick Buckler were the biggest act around in this era. I was lucky to see them at Bridlington Spa in 1980. They were only around for 5 years (1977 to 1982) but had numerous hits and became only the 2nd group to appear live twice on one episode of Top of the Pops following the Beatles. On their break up a lot of their songs were re-released and they had a record 14 songs in the same chart.
This song is a great song and topped the chart in 1982.

So what do you think ?

6 comments:

celtic_girl said...

Mick my vote is for The Jam followed by The Damned.Must admit with the exception of A Town called Malice, I had not heard of the other songs

Meow Meow said...

I always liked the Damned. I found the lead singer mysterious.

Vanessa said...

I never heard of these bands before (which isn't really saying much), but I very much liked Eddie and the Hot Rods, The Stranglers, and the Jam. They all have a particular early 80's sound, which reminds me a lot of what my sister listened to when she was a teen and I was a kid.

Good choices this week!

Sandii said...

hey Mick

a week today we head to Memphis, Nashville then Chicago, then i'll be on my way home before i know it.

thanks for your comments, we didn't get to go up the arch, we had scheduling clashes, ice hockey was looming!

yeah the view is amazing and it was cold.

we had a great day but i was ready for bed by the end of it, not that keen on having to wander the streets to get to the next bar etc but i managed.

yeah i loved teh Boathouse, awesome...

sorry for the pizza shot, but i've actually lost 5 lbs since being here, so i'm clearly not eating that much pizza! yes, i'm happy with that, no promises it will stay gone of course!

Not sure about the music this week.

Hope you're keeping well!
x

Moby Dick said...

Great choices, interesting to see these bands that I may have only briefly heard on the radio back in the days!

Mick & Cathy said...

Celtic,
I've always been a fan of "The Jam" and in particular Paul Weller. I've got most of his CD's whether with The Jam, The Style Council or his solo career. 30 years writing and performing hit records can't be bad.

Rebecca,
Never really followed The Damned but I do like this song.

Vanessa,
I think most these acts were mainly big in the UK with only very limited success in the US. It was an exciting time over here musically and I'm sure I'll be posting more from this era in coming weeks.

Sandii,
Its amazing the cities you are travelling are in the main where I've been, good choices though.

Spider,
Music is all about opinions and I'm pleased you like the choices. There is so much to choose from.