Sunday, April 23, 2006

Today's tournament


Today I've been playing in one of our clubs invitation Table Tennis Tournaments. These are quite low key events but the standard is quite good. It is held in a small venue with only four/five courts. There were eighteen players in the competition and you play eleven or twelve matches and everyone gets a final ranking position.
All the players pay £10 to enter with the winner winning a cash prize. All the other players get a prize which can be anything from beer, wine, chocolates, DVD's, etc. The higher up the final positions you finish you get choice of a better prize.

Anyway I was quite pleased with my performance (I lost two matches) finishing 4th. This was my first time playing since injuring my ankle and I was worried that I may have a problem but I came through all the games fine. I selected some cans of Beer for my prize (12 cans of John Smiths Yorkshire Bitter) so I can now drown my sorrows for not winning.

The tournament was won by one of our British league 1st team members Simon N whom I beat 11-8 in the deciding set . My two defeats came against the players finishing 2nd & 3rd Richard whom also plays for our first team and only lost to the winner Simon N and also to Simon D (11-9 in the decider) who plays for Darlington and finished above me on count back.

To put my performance into perspective you have got to remember I am a 48 year old overweight hasbeen and the 3 players who finished above me are in their prime at 18 or 19 year old. Actually they are all smashing lads, Richard I have coached on a regular basis from been a total beginer at 11 year old and I have also done a quite a bit of coaching with Simon N so I have got to be proud of their achievements.

The Photo is Richard and Simon N taken at a British league match about 18 months ago.

4 comments:

ArleneWKW said...

Congrats Mick. It sounds like you had fun. I like the idea of everyone getting a prize.

Unknown said...

Excellent Mick! I am proud of your 4th place rank...It is good that you play. Enjoy your prize!

Jenny said...

Congrats on your 4th place finish. I think the beer was definitely a great prize. I know my husband would love a few bottle of that bitter.

I bet you are getting very excited about your trip to the colonies!

Mick & Cathy said...

Ladies,
Thank You.